Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
AUS
State
Western Australia
City
By the beach
We talk about God carrying through this terrible time.

I'm committed to my faith and trust in God....

When will the 'test' end? You know, God tests our faith...will I pass this test?

Do I have to prove myself? I just don't know.

I pray for us all daily, and I'm thankful that my faith encourages prayer, I would be lost without it.

I pray for myself. To accept this life chosen for me. I've found it very difficult since my recent diagnosis to look too far into the future, even to count my blessings.

Every time I do something, anything, I wonder for how much longer will I be able to accomplish that particular thing on my own.

If I drop something with my good hand, I wonder, is it the beginning of the end?

What meaning does this thread have? Don't know. Maybe to prove to myself the Lord lives in me as I'm not afraid to admit I'm scared? Or to make sure I'm not alone in my time of need?

God bless us all, Janelle x

The tests happen every day, and you're doing quite well on them. You inspire us.

Hmm...many thoughts /observations on this topic...lttle enerrgy to express them atm...

For me as far as my faith goes, is to be a good witness in the good and the bad things that happen in our lives, God is always there for us, we can talk to him whenever we wish, he is always listening, he never leaves our side, sometimes we walk away from him. I'm glad we have him in our life and know that we will spend eternity together.
We have been so blessed in our marriage together we are each other's best friend and have had 36 wonderful years in each other's arms, now we have to face a future of uncertainty not knowing when death will be at our door, but I know God has it all in his control and I love and trust him and am so thankful for the gift of eternity and the knowledge that BJ and I may be separated for a while here on earth but we get to spend forever together. That's what gets me thru this time. Make the most of your abilities now, be loving and caring and thankyou for keeping us in your prayers.
Big hugs
Gem

about them test everyday. i asked god the other day how do i test if my wife is tickleish--- he said "Give her some test tickles" lol woops the raft guide in me just came out. sorry love ya chally

Chally...awesome! Made me laugh, I really needed that!

Gem you are so right. I went to the doctor about my emotions today. He said the same, focus on what I can do, not what I can't. Also gave me more medication and asked me to see a counsellor.

Thanks Mike. I really appreciate your faith in me. As for inspiration...you've got shed loads.

God bless, Janelle x

God is sovereign over His creation in all ways and He sustains it second by second. He didn't set it in motion and then step back to watch it all happen. He didn't leave any room for randomness in it. He had a plan for it all, including sending His Son to die for sinners and reconcile them to Himself. The Bible says His children's names were written in the book from before the foundation of the world, and Jesus said that all that the Father gives Him will be kept to the very end. All of that is very comforting to me.

I think the thing we deal with most is that we don't know the "why" of so many things... why did my wife get breast cancer, why did the kid fall into drugs, why ALS? The one thing that takes me out of that swirl of crazy thoughts is to go back and concentrate on who God is. He is Creator, King, Savior, Sustainer. He is the Potter, we are the clay... shall the clay protest to the potter "why did you make me this way?" No, not if we look at Him instead of ourselves, and trust Him and the plan He has for us even though it might not be written just the way we expected. I go back to the story of Job. Even though he didn't have a clue what and why all those things happened to him, he had faith enough in God and God's character to be able to say "though He slay me, yet will I trust Him". I pray all of us, PALS, CALS, family and friends, can get to that place of trusting a magnificent and sovereign Lord.

Bless you all.

Janelle you don't have to do anything, you have already done it. You have accepted the gift that Christ held out to you. Your attitude reflects his light in your life, and that is all that we can hope for. He is there for us, but for some of us it is hard to trust, to trust that we are good enough (we are not) that is why it is called "amazing Grace." We just celebrated Thanksgiving in Canada today, and while we sat around the table each person expressed what they were thankful for. Tim said that he is thankful that he is happy even in this state of paralysis and total dependants. I won't pretend to know what is in any of the PALS hearts or how difficult it would be to be in their place, but I know how difficult it is to be a CALS. On the wall above our fireplace I have in large letters "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13." There have been many times that I have had to stop what I was doing and walk into the living room and read the words over and over until they are burned again into my heart.
Many have asked how a good God could allow bad things to happen to good people. I have read a lot of pretty good reasons but it is still a very difficult question to answer and one we will not know for sure until it is all over.
An atheist asked "what does a Christian say to a dying child at their bed side." and I ask "what does an Atheist say?" Whether there is a God or not does not change the circumstance, but to us that believe, there is a good that will come out of it even if we don't recognize it at the time, and we have the promise of home in the presence of the Lord. Is it a crutch? Maybe, but either way my life has been made richer because of my faith.
I have read many of your posts, and you have helped many, so maybe today I can help you. You can think that maybe you can't go on, but you will find when you look down that you are still moving. I don't think it is in you to quit, keep running the race, even if it is on your scooter, or a power wheel chair, and we will keep on cheering and encouraging you.

Paulette

Last edited:
Don't ask you won't like my answer Lol :)

Janelle, I think deep down inside all (or most) of us PALS are scared of what lies ahead. I am. Jesus Himself displayed "loud cries and tears" in the face of His way of suffering. His experience of horror of what was ahead of Him was expressed through sweating blood in Gethsemane. Yet His trust in His Father was undiminished. I think of Jesus in His suffering when I'm overwhelmed by my own, and I turn to Him in trust that He has "surely borne our griefs and carried our sorrows." Both in the past and in the present and the future, He is with us, carrying our heavy cross together with us. Passing the test? Certainly our faith is purified and tried in suffering, to make it even brighter and more fruitful. As long as you are trusting God, and turning to Him in faith again and again and again, you are passing the test, you are pleasing to the Father. It's really quite simple. Janelle, thank you for sharing. Oh, how hard this road can be sometimes! But what a gift faith is! Even though we sometimes don't feel it, we carry on, simply trusting and entrusting ourselves to the Lord, who will one day reward our faith with unparalled joy.
- Charlene

Dear Janelle,

Thank you for this thoughtful thread you have brought to us. What you wrote was meaningful, thought provoking, and searching. I have had some thoughts rather similar to some of those you have shared here.

I do feel that if I didn't have my faith, I would have absolutely NO idea whatsoever how to even BEGIN to try to imagine enduring, at all, or to even take just one minuscule step on this journey. (Not that I have more than perhaps the tiniest possible inkling of just trusting in God, accepting what is happening, knowing it is God's will for my life.)

Because of the doubts I have, that have emerged, I am far, far from where I'd hope to be, as far as total trust in God, and total faithful acceptance of what is happening to me. I often feel that I am not being as trusting and accepting as I "should" be. I often feel that I have "found out" that perhaps the strength of my faith isn't as strong as I had truly thought it was.

I am having trouble putting these feelings into words.

But thank you for bringing this to us, and thank you so much for your prayers for all of us.

Bless You,
Laura.

Janelle,
I needed to read your post this evening! As you said and I try my best to do. "One Day at a Time" that's all I can do.

My breathing is pretty bad now and I use the power wheelchair all the time. I can shuffle but it get's me too out of breath. I use bi-pap as much as I can. It seems if I sit REAL still, I can breathe ok. (Oh, that's no fun!)

Well, that's me trying to do one day at a time. Sometimes one minute at a time.

I will pray for you and all the group on here.

Lynne

Where is God in all this? Right beside you where He has always been. There is no promise of no suffering, just the promise you will not be alone. This is not a test, that would be cruel. Remember the line in the 23rd psalm; I will fear no evil for Thou art with me. God is not with the disease, God is with you. Be where you are and look for grace, sometimes its hard to find, but it is all we can do. Peace be with you.
VIncent

i dont have an answer but i know when im having a bad day and im asking why me? or how long? or when will i no longer be able to do this? OR am i progressing? (oh, there are so many ways to go to the dark side . . .) i ask God to allow me to see Him that day in others. Hes there in the person who holds the door for you, the friend that emailed, the child that needed 'you specifically' to share their news with or who needed 'your' comfort. i always find something. is it an answer to my Why? or When? questions? nope. but i wont have an answer until later to those questions anyway.

be kind to yourself. you are so new to your diagnosis. you need time to be angry. afraid. bewildered. in the words of my dear, very much missed ottawagirl, 'look for the angels around you.' they are there. they are everywhere.

We are the blood bought, paid for, I thank God I know where I'm headed, not to sure as to the way I will travel but I am on the way. Ok He gave me ALS and He gave it my father also, so what, I do thank Him it was not some other painful disease, at least that is spared me.

God's Word does say a few things that should clear the fog for us. In Isaiah 55 He stated that His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts, that stops me from trying to out guess Him. In 1 Corinthians 15 He states O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING? and if we jump to the old testament we have the 23rd Psalm and though we walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil for He is with me. So it is a question of what we really believe, His word or Satan telling us this or that. I fear nothing not even death because it has no power over me or any one of you for that matter. It will only be a door that we step through then I will be where He is, we do have those promises do we not?

Jesus Is Just Alright THE DOOBIE BROTHERS

Jesus is just alright with me, Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright with me, Jesus is just alright
I don't care what they may say
I don't care what they may do
I don't care what they may say
Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright

Jesus is just alright with me, Jesus is just alright, oh yeah
Jesus is just alright with me, Jesus is just alright

I don't care what they may know
I don't care where they may go