Reason
Loved one DX
Country
Uni
State
Maine
City
Scarborough
Hello, and thank you in advance for taking the time to read and possibly give a little guidance ^.^ I've read the sticky, but (must shed some light) I am a hypochondriac, I've been in and out of hospitals in the past for very meager 'symptoms'. As someone who finds something different, I tend to take my ailment to Dr. Google, whom of course isn't my best PCP... then go to the ER saying how this 'is my affliction'.

My grandfather was diagnosed maybe about 3 years ago with Bulbar ALS. It came to him in just absolute fatigue, and unable to rid carbon from his body. As a man who hated the Docs, and refused to go for a while, he has done seemingly okay for how long he waited, and for how rapidly it came upon him. Before him, there is no known cases of familial ALS, however, I do have an uncle suffering from another neuro disease, Parkinsons.

I am an active young adult, 22, male, that enjoys weight lifting (Whatever keeps me away from this screen, the better). However, I have been growing fatigued of late, so I decided a four day break would be necessary to help possibly alleviate muscle exhaustion. Though, my first day into this break I developed a twitch in my right shoulder (There is no pain as it pulses). Brushing it aside the first, saying to myself 'it is possibly a cramp, or pinched nerve', something regarding my workouts. However, as it continued, my mind decided to 'investigate' further. (This is now it's 6th day of spontaneous pulsation)

This twitch is persistent, as in it comes and goes in great strength - pulsating the entire region like a great ripple. It is very much visible, and very much felt; never unnoticed. It is not a constant, (example: it can be a single tic every so many hours, or an erratic spasm for at most 10 seconds). Being that this has nearly amounted to a week, my infamous anxiety side has been milling around my brain pacing, and digging a deeper hole. (Which has created many other spontaneous twitches in single tics, however, this shoulder tic is the only constant [posterior deltoid, or possibly Teres minor])

As the sticky said, left and right sides of the body are not 100% symmetrical, but as of now, things seem rather close, or as close as they have been, but where this is a minor muscle, it is specifically difficult to gauge strength. No weakness has been observed yet, (Taking cable weights and pulling them back to examine each sides capability). Most of these twitches occur when the muscle is relaxed, and not stressed. If I pull the cable back, with no twitch, it is fine, but as soon as I return, 7 out of 10 times, it immediately begins to pound. (Again, there isn't any pain, though, there is pain on certain points of my back only if pressed or messaged). (I've heard spasms and cramps would be 'painfully' obvious, which I haven't that sort of pain).

I know I haven't any other symptoms associated (as far as I can tell), (Aside from the localized twitching(Same strip of muscle)) but, in terms of what I have given, what would you suggest or possibly divulge.

My apologies for an infamous partial 'WoT' (Wall of Text)... I do have a tendency to throw them D: I'm looking into having certain things tested first and foremost, bloodwork for vitals, and my electrolytes, but I just wanted more of an opinion if this should prompt a hasty clinical examination. I'm always told by family that it is nothing, it is 'your mind at play'. But, that is never a satisfying answer.

Thanks again, Jumpy

As you know from the sticky twitches are meaningless. If you are worried yes visit your pcp but in your shoes I would not bother.

Re the issue of FALS. As you know one relative does not raise your risk. Your concern is, if I understand you the second relative relative with a Neurodegenerative illness ( the son of the person with ALS?) some of the gene defects such as my c9 do seem to have family members with other neuro illnesses. No one has associated Parkinsons with c9 though or any other defect I know of. so I would not worry on that score

So you have no worrisome symptoms and you are 22. The type of FALS that strikes at your age would not have a grandfather living with ALS now. So no evidence for FALS anyway, no symptoms, no worries

Ok, and again, thank you very much. I just need to leave Dr. Google be. Anxiety is just a great, overthinking friend of mine that I do let dwell.

I didn't it have twitches until three years into the disease. My right hand got very weak and uncooperative. Seven years later I am in a chair, is but still breathing, eating, and talking. I know anxiety can be crippling, so please get some help. And is you already know, Dr. Google is not a very good diagnostician.
Hollister

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back