Writing about ALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
chally: I really, really appreciate that message! Thank you so much, it means a lot, and I wanted to say that I really, really admire your courage (and everyone's courage) in fighting against this nightmare. Thank you.

BTW, I personally (and I'm sure many here would feel this way as well) would be happy to act a sounding board for anything you'd want to get feedback on such as "would my character do 'this' this way?" or "would they re-act in 'this' manner".

Being able to "research" as you go would help avoid going down rabbit holes just to discover they're not valid and would let you get started sooner which lessens the chance of it (the book) dying on the vine.

Ulysses,
Have you published any other books that we could read?

notBrad: Thanks a bunch for the offer! When I do start writing (which might be a while yet, because I'm going to do a lot of research first), I'll probably make another thread on here asking for help. Thank you so much for offering!

lgelb: Unfortunately not. I've got a bunch of manuscripts sitting around on my computer but I've never been able to publish anything for two reasons: 1) I have this crippling inability to just chill out and not edit my manuscripts to death, like I'll be up all night thinking about how to phrase this sentence or that sentence, and 2) because I'm too shy to actually approach any publishers. I know, it seems risky for a never-published writer to be tackling a topic that carries so much significance to people, but honestly, I intend to spend a long time on this and it'll get better with each draft. What I've resolved to do for this story is also to have outside help from various sources - I learned not to make that mistake from doing my previous mansucripts.

"I've never been able to publish anything for two reasons: 1) I have this crippling inability to just chill out and not edit my manuscripts to death, like I'll be up all night thinking about how to phrase this sentence or that sentence, and 2) because I'm too shy to actually approach any publishers." -- Amiulysses

Amiulysses, I say this with all due respect, from one writer to another, with love.

What a crock of sh&&! You're afraid that you're writing isn't good. Trying starving, instead. Publishers have their own editors. Just email it off your almost completed manuscript to any publishing house. If they can use what they see, fine. If you never hear from them, who cares! Then send it off to the next house.

Perhaps you're young. That's your fault, too. Just get the MS mostly done and send it off, over and over and over again. This is the only way to learn. If you haven't been rejected, you're not a writer.

Good luck with this effort. We're all happy to support you.

--Mike

"I've never been able to publish anything for two reasons: 1) I have this crippling inability to just chill out and not edit my manuscripts to death, like I'll be up all night thinking about how to phrase this sentence or that sentence, and 2) because I'm too shy to actually approach any publishers." -- Amiulysses

Amiulysses, I say this with all due respect, from one writer to another, with love.

What a crock of sh&&! You're afraid that you're writing isn't good. Trying starving, instead. Publishers have their own editors. Just email it off your almost completed manuscript to any publishing house. If they can use what they see, fine. If you never hear from them, who cares! Then send it off to the next house.

Perhaps you're young. That's your fault, too. Just get the MS mostly done and send it off, over and over and over again. This is the only way to learn. If you haven't been rejected, you're not a writer.

Good luck with this effort. We're all happy to support you.

--Mike

Aha, thanks, that message made me smile! Yeah, I am afraid of my writing not being any good, and I might as well admit it, but my ego is extremely fragile and I hate being rejected. I mean, that's the same now with me trying to get a part-time job, it's been months, and I find the whole process just really frustrating. I feel like them not hiring me is a reflection that I'm not good enough. Same with writing - I feel like being rejected would be a reflection that I'm not a good writer. It mostly comes form me looking at my old writing and thinking "oh my God, this is rubbish", and then I think, "this is rubbish, but I thought it was amazing two years ago; so is my current project going to be rubbish in two years too?" and then I usually never touch those things again.

I don't know. I'm just an idiot like that. But I really appreciate your support and everyone else's!

I did work on my thesis in graduate school. It's bound and collecting dust on the shelf at the university I attended. Even has a library of congress number. However, I did publish and copyright many songs that I've written and recorded that have made a pretty penny on ITunes.
I know the edit, rewrite and change and edit, rewrite over and over feeling. It's very frustrating. You can beat it to death! But, you have to go with it.
Best of luck to you,
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back