Other
Country
US
State
Nj
City
W
Hi,
A little background, 3 months ago I started having arm spasm in my left arm the pain would come and go and radiate down to my wrist, almost feels as if the funny bone was hit. I went to dr and she thought pinched nerve. Started anti inflammatory things subsided, then I started to twitch and noticed I had reoccurring aches in my legs and arms, flu like feeling, increased acid reflux (which has been a problem since my first pregnancy.

Back to the dr, did extensive bloodwork, came back with positive ANa. Went to rhumeotlogist who ruled out anything and said head to neuro.

Neuro told me it could be transient twitching, MS or ALS. I was taken back, she ordered more labs, 2 MRIs and An EMG. All of which I am waiting on. She told me my exam was normal and I don't notice any weakness or inability to do things I usually do.

Doesn't it seem alarmist to order the EMG? I am now of course concerned and hoping she is just trying to cover and be super through. I didn't think this was a test that was given so quickly. Still have aches and twitching all over.

It sounds like she is covering herself and perhaps has experience with anxious people who are not satisfied with out an EMG. Your history certainly does not sound like ALS. I know I have seen Dr Turner a leading ALS doctor at Oxford say that he personally would not do an EMG without weakness looking for ALS and if he did and it was abnormal would still not diagnose ALS based on EMG findings. EMGs and the nerve conduction studies that are almost always done at the same time can show many other problems though so maybe you will get a nice fixable answer
Good luck

Nikki covered it perfectly, but I'm so shocked by your neuro's actions that I want to comment.

It does seem alarmist. Of course, a neurologist is way smarter than me and has examined you, so I won't argue, except to say I read NOTHING in your post that sounded like ALS. Aches and pains and funny bones point AWAY from ALS.

Don't worry about ALS. Follow the doctor's order and let her investigate your health concerns, but don't be worried in the meantime.

Thank you Nikki and Atsgui. I'm glad you agree it's over the top. I suppose I will go through with the test and have piece of mind. It's funny, because of course ALS popped up for twitching, but in my head I ruled it out, even MS seems a stretch since I don't have any abnormal fatigue or problem getting thru the day. The dr was the one who planted this seed and anxiety... Not happy about that but I guess she is just doing her job. Wish everyone well and hope to have good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back