Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CT
City
Fairfield
For the past year, I have struggled with the ALS thought. My left leg feels off, like around the knee and it feels like my left leg just doesn't want to work. I from time to time get weakness in my left arm as well and my hand feels clumsy. I haven't tripped or anything and just really am afraid to walk in fear that I may fall down and trip. It's absolutely vicious. Can ALS present like this especially around the knee making it feel like it is going to hyperextend?

Have you gone to the doctor? Leg onset ALS generally starts in the lower leg not the knee. I am just now experiencing issues with weakness in the knee area. It does not want to hyperextend it wants to bend. It sounds more likely to be orthopedic but go and get seen
Feelings and things that happen from time to time do not sound like ALS either

Thanks Nikki. I went last fall because my fear was at an all time high and he didn't seem worried and kind of looked at me like I was crazy for thinking I had it. My leg just feels off and it's just awful.

RBREN, Nikki is totally right--and she's an expert. Your description didn't sound like ALS at all. I really think that you need a visit to your GP, but not for ALS. I don't think the Internet is going to help you at all for this kind of problem.

Thanks Atsugi. It just is becoming really hard to not become aware of my walking. I am constantly monitoring my legs and it really feels like I am going to fall over.

Thanks Atsugi. It just is becoming really hard to not become aware of my walking. I am constantly monitoring my legs and it really feels like I am going to fall over.

That's not the way ALS goes. People with ALS often report that, one day, they simply fall over without any weak feeling at all.

ALS destroys motor nerves which take the "go" signal from the brain to the muscle. It does not affect the sensory nerve that would take feelings from the muscle to the brain. Hence, your muscle doesn't work, but there's no feeling to warn you.

See your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back