Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks gooseberry for the reminder to shake up our routines. My favorite shower energy saving is wrapping in a terry robe instead of trying to towel dry.

Sometimes the little things are the biggest.

Chris was dressing himself of a morning to the point where it took him 20 minutes to put his clothes on. Often he fell as he wouldn't even sit down to put jeans on.

He would come out to breakfast exhausted. Then with his hand and mouth problems it took him a further 30 minutes to eat breakfast.

He had used more calories on those 2 tasks than he actually consumed.

The first time I dressed him he was stunned at the difference it made.

I know you have to dress yourself, but that's where the thing of thinking of clothing is important. At that point Chris still insisted on jeans (they were very difficult to put on him!) and shoes with laces and socks.

This also meant toileting was so difficult as he had to negotiate a button and fly.

Later when he was in track pants, socks and slippers it was too late for him to do anything for himself anyway. Then the slippers went because he couldn't lift the weight of them with his feet and we used the non slip socks only for walking.

Great advice here - cook batch meals and smoothies and have them in portions ready to just consume. Maybe friends would even cook you a casserole or soup and portion it up.

Easy to wear clothes and remember easy for the loo. If you can turn some of your energy into really problem solving how to save energy for the good stuff you will find life has more quality.

Chris insisted on walking to the loo until very close to the end. It would take him 15 minutes or more to get up the hallway. So each one trip to the loo took around 40 minutes and totally exhausted him. He refused to use a bottle. I would have liked him to use a bottle then take the same distance walk out to the gazebo and enjoy a little time there with me. He had it in his head that walking to the loo was the most important thing there was for his dignity. Fair enough, I let him make those choices, but it took his energy from doing anything enjoyable. He spent all his time sitting exhausted or walking to the loo :(
Then of course he would try to drink less so that he wouldn't have to walk to the loo so often which only made matters worse as I had a hard time stopping him being dehydrated.

Thanks mich5, I'll do the search now and see. So grateful for this forum. I'd really be lost without you all. Thanks.

Thanks Tillie, I'm starting to get the picture. For me, mornings are a killer. I need a good hour just to feel I can function and even think about showering and getting dressed. I dread the mornings yet happy to still be here each morning.

On a side note everyone, I solved my blind issue for the sliding door. Via an internet search for a solution, I found some thingy a Lowe's that adheres to the glass and gives it a smoke glass effect for lack of a better description. It was lightweight, easy to put up and actually looks great. I'm quite delighted with myself. Getting settle at a snail's pace, but getting there nonetheless. :)

Frosted glass. That was the word I was looking for. Not smoked glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back