Status
Not open for further replies.
You might want to encourage Chris to post as a PALS if/as he's ready.

Kathleen, you asked practical questions about finances. Here's a suggestion. Get life insurance prior to a diagnosis.
@ Atsugi =>Gold worth :-| =>that suggestion is worth Gold people about getting Life Insurance

welcome kathleen , sorry you and chris are here but as it is this is the best place to be. see if chris would like to post, it really helps to know your not alone with this nightmare. i was told you'll never get LI w/als well i applied anyway and got it two days before official diagnosed so you never know until you try. is chris a vet? if so check the sticky. keep posted. we are here for each other as we trudge this path. love ya chally

Hi Chally,
Thank you for your message. I have suggested to Chris that he post on the forum and I think he will after things have settled down to the new normal. He talked to his best friend two days ago and that was a terrific help. He had an MRI last Wed and now is officially diagnosed with ALS. He has a decent life insurance through work that has a portability clause so we just need to keep the payments between the time he leaves work and until LTD kicks in. Chris was in the army and received an honorable discharge but he doesn't think he had enough time in to qualify for any benefits. Thanks for the great ideas and support.

Nikki, Simplifying and downsizing.......working on it but don't want to upset Chris too much. I've found homes for our horses. I'm planning on keeping one horse and our mini donkey if it is at all feasible but I have homes lined up for them as well. I have carpenter friends coming over this week to help design a porch and ramp that we can build in stages. Our "temporary" front steps (7 years old now) are horribly steep so it high time for something safe. I'll introduce myself in the CALS roll call.

I can see and feel the support that exists in the forum. What a great place. Thank you everybody!

Kathleen,
There are plenty of vets here who know more, but I wouldn't assume he was too short-time for VA benefits unless you get that formally confirmed. From the VA:

All Veterans who develop Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease, at any time after separation from service may be eligible for compensation for that disability. To be eligible, the Veteran must have served a minimum of 90 consecutive days of active service.

Yes 90 days active service and discharge other than dishonorable

Hi Kathleen. I'm sorry I'm late welcoming you here (not that we ever want to welcome anyone). This is a terribly difficult diagnosis, but as you've already found, you're now part of a very supportive family.

As Laurie mentioned, 90 days of continuous active duty is what's required to qualify for benefits. Does your husband have that? I hope so, as the VA is the gold standard for care for ALS patients. Please be sure to read the sticky on VA benefits.

Downsizing is a great idea. I haven't gotten far at all with that plan, so I'm slowly working on at lease organizing and learning what everything is. This past week I cleaned out the shed--a big accomplishment. BTW, just how many jumper cables does one household need?

I agree with you about not going off the meds right now. My PCP brought up the issue of HRT, and we both agreed that this is not the time to try to wean me off of it.

Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back