Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
US
State
CT
City
New London
So my dad was just recently diagnosed with ALS. Was wondering if there can be a change in his rate of progression? His speech deterioration seems to be progressing fairly fast, is it possible it can plateau for a while?

Was wondering if there can be a change in his rate of progression? ...is it possible it can plateau for a while?

Yes...Yes.

It seems everybody has different experiences. Some PALS here report plateaus. My PALS didn't...just sped right through from beginning to the end.

Plateaus happen definitely for some, progression is unpredictable , but it will be good to plan ahead and prepare. So as soon as you can look into speech alternatives. There are more and more now. Consider his hand function too. Text to speech is a fairly easy solution but may not work for long depending. My aunt could use it almost until the end. My sister had to go right to eyegaze.

I know you are in shock now as is he and his wife ( your mom?). So give them time and yourself too. But when you are ready start reading the relevant stickies. They are lucky to have you

Thanks for the responses

Vikman, I'm so sad you find yourself here.
Our dads are our heroes (and first true love for the girls) so it must be incredibly difficult watching him progress this way.
There is so much practical and compassionate support here, whether it be questions or venting, it's all good.
God bless, Janelle x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back