Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thanks so much to everyone for answering my questions. I am now back home. I truly enjoy my visit with my brother. He and his wife was so happy that I stay the week. My sister in law was able to get some rest and some time to herself. I plan on going back before the end of year. My brother is in very good spirits in spite of his illness. I guess it is really true that your attitude means a lot in a illness. His voice is pretty good but getting a little weaker. The speech therapist is working on "banking the words in a computer" so he can use a computer to talk.

The only frustration is trying to deal with the DME company. My sister in law have been trying to get a part put on my brother wheel chair since June. She has been calling them weekly. I told her she may need to write a letter or call Medicare since Medicare pays for power wheel chair.

I do plan on letting my sister in law know about this forum as well. I am considering looking for a in person support group for myself as well. As with all type of diseases, this disease suck as well.

Thanks again

Blue, Medicare has nothing to do w/ actually ordering chair parts. Tell your SIL if the DME branch is not responsive, and she has already talked w/ the branch manager (which she should do if not yet), to call the district manager, regional director or national office of the DME and make a formal complaint against the branch. All this assumes that Medicare has approved the DME order, but it can also be the case that the DME is dragging its heels, didn't submit it correctly, hasn't followed up on a shipment, ordered the wrong part, etc. Ask for a copy of the order that was [hopefully!] submitted to Medicare.

For crushing meds, there are two types that crush, one finer (and harder to use) than the other. Most tablets don't require the one with all the mini-teeth and you can use the one where you only have to turn it once or twice, which is definitely easier on your hands. If it is a med w/ multiple generics, it can be worth checking which one is a little softer/smaller as they can differ.

I am in the process of looking into a hoyer lift and was wondering about the base legs. Can the lift be used with the legs closed , say 22" with a person on it , to get thru a doorway or does it always need to be fully open to use? Also is the manual lift OK to use or would an electric one be worth the investment ?

Our Hoyer was electric and wonderful to use.
I cannot imagine using a manual type.

Dear bluecat,

I think that everything you've been doing is wonderful, and so supportive of your brother and his wife. I know that it means so much to them both. My best to all three of you. I can tell that you and your brother share a very special bond. You are both so fortunate in that. You are making a big difference...

Sincerely,
Laura

We should remember there are two levels of "electric" -- one, raising the cradle via power (yes, a must-have) and some have power legs (not). It is actually safest to only open the legs when they are needed to get close enough to a chair or wheelchair. The rest of the time, they should be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back