Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Background: Male, 24, I have been struggling with anxiety (mainly regarding my health) for about six years now. I have convinced myself of having many serious illnesses. I am aware of this, but this symptom caused some genuine worry in me, as most of my other symptoms are imaginary, this one is not. For the past three days I have had localized twitching (I think - I do get it in other areas, but not nearly as much) in my left hand, in the muscle between the pinky and wrist. This sent me into a major panic, it feels like a rumbling in the muscle, and has been occurring a few times an hour since.

Naturally I found myself here, I did what I should not do and googled it. I have no other symptoms that don't come with my usual anxiety (the twitching has not been one before). Trouble sleeping, feelings of dread etc. Having read some forums, and the stickies, my mind has been put somewhat at ease. I have recently come out of a stressful time in my job, and also have recently been canoeing for a weekend (using a lot of muscles I don't usually use!) which lead to some aching and a sore shoulder. Reading up on this site helped me realize that these are far more likely to be the root cause. I have no problems with dexterity or muscle weakness (I don't think there is anyway).

My only concern is that the twitching is localized to this one area. I know that twitching is almost never the first symptom, also that if the twitches don't really happen when I'm doing something (which I don't think it does) and being a 24 year old male that it is a rare chance that it might be ALS. I am getting twitches elsewhere, just no where near as often as in my hand.

I apologize if you are all sick of reading some variation of this post here :(. But I thank you for coming on here and putting the minds of the many anxious people, like myself, at ease. I'm still worried about it (that comes with the anxiety) and I think I will be until it stops. Any feedback on my particular twitching would be welcome.

Read the Sticky. You have no symptoms of ALS.

JLH, you're still here, so I guess you're waiting for a second opinion.
First, you already know you don't have ALS, and you have no reason to suspect it.
Second, I recommend working with a psychiatrist to treat your anxiety.

Thank you both for your reply. It helps to be reassured, even if you know deep down it isn't what you think. Anxiety always means jump to the worst case scenario. I've debated seeking help for a while. Might be the right time, while it's really effecting me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back