Learn about ALS
Country
CO
State
Antioquia
City
Medellin
Hello, I hope you are all doing fine.

I will apologize for my english in advance since I`m Colombian.
Thabks alotfor understanding,

I`m so scared at this point...for the las tthree days I have a constante fatigue on the right side of my body, it shakes sometimes but it doesn`t go away, I know i am not supposed to be looking stuff up on the internet, but my firend told me to basically worry about ALS and of course, I did..

Since then i started looking up stuff on the itnernet and I can relate to many others, I have had anxiety issues before but, this time, it feels different...I am really scared to the point where I`ve skipped classes and been staying at my house just starring at the floor wondering wthere I was going to die from this disease in the next 2 to 3 years

More specifically, my right arm feels tired faster , for example while im typing this it feels really tired as if i was working out, apart from that, it feels just "weak or Heavy" most of the time, and its a weird feeling, like have you ever had that feeling in your chest of "something is going to be wrong" , I have had that exact feeling but in my arm, it`s so weird, I have not had that much twitching, and from what ive read, the twitching happens after the muscle dies in this disease so now im scarred....I have tried to do some self testing, like walking on my heels and toes, or opening and closing my hand to see how much effort it takes, and its weird...I have been dropping stuff unconscously for a couple of days,(maybe one boof and some leaflets in a store) but thats it what do you guys think it could be ?....Doesthis sound like ALS ? ....I have a doctors appiontment in 2 days, should I tell him all this, ask for him to send me to a neurologist? Im so nervous and scared and I am also so sorry to bother you guys!
Tags: feeling, odd feeling, right arm, arms, legs, arms and legs, Anxiety, A

Again, truely sorry for any grammar mistakes :/ thank you again any help or opinion is aprecciated!

1) Please read the stickies. ALS doesn't start or end with "feelings."
2) If your muscles had "died" (actually, the nerves that make them move), they wouldn't be moving.
3) As with anything else that bothers you, of course, you should tell your doctor (since you might be nervous, bring a chronological list of your symptoms), he will examine you and determine if you need further testing. Most twitches are completely harmless, however, as are most feelings of fatigue.

Go back to class, get some sleep, eat good nutritious food and try not to worry. The odds are very much in your favor, and, assuming you are the age of most students, almost astronomically against your having ALS.

All the best.

Thank you so much for your replie , I`m sorry for not reading the stickies, the emotional feeling just made me come in quickly in post what was on my mind, i will know for next time, thank you again!

Hey there, so I tried not to worry but things are just going worse, My family doctor (general doctor) told me that i do have weakness , but that he thinks its due to vitamins , but im not sure, i dont think he ran all the tests, like babinski, Reflexes, etc etc, some he did but I dont know...I told him about my fear nd I just dont think he believes how bad I feel, should I ask him to suggest a neurologist ? I dont know what to do And im so sorry you guys hve to read me going on and on about it ...

How old are you irodmare1992? This is important.

Jrodmare1992: You don’t have ALS.
ALS is a rare disease for 50-60 year old people.
You have common symptoms, so look for a common problem.
Follow up with your doctor, but don’t worry about ALS.

constant fatigue on the right side of my body >>> This does not mean ALS. Could be many things.
Anxiety…skipped classes …starring at the floor >>> This is depression.
right arm feels tired >>> In ALS, your arm does NOT feel tired. It just doesn’t move.
feeling in your chest of "something is going to be wrong” >>> Not ALS
dropping stuff >>> Eat and sleep well. If you’re still dropping things next week, see a doctor, but don’t worry about ALS.
doctor told me that i do have weakness…due to vitamins >>> weakness is bad, but it could be caused by many common problems.
22 years old >>> ALS is for much older people, average age 50-60.

If you had ALS, you would be the youngest person I’ve ever heard of with ALS. I recently saw a database of 1800 people with ALS. Most were 40-60. Only three were in their twenties. The youngest was 27.

You don’t have ALS.

Thank you so MUCH for your response, Its eases my mind a little, though I got some questions still, for instance Would the fatigue /weakness not be felt before it actually stopped moving at all?

In ALS, the muscle does not feel fatigued or weak or weird or anything at all. It just quits working and lays limp and useless, paralyzed.

You see, ALS is in the brain and brain stem. ALS destroys the motor nerve in the brain so that it cannot send any signals to its corresponding muscle. There is no sensory involvement, just the motor nerve cannot tell the muscle to contract, so the muscle just goes limp. This may take several days, but there is no feeling involved.

Your symptoms do not in any way suggest ALS. Your symptoms could be caused by a nerve compression, such as in the neck due to a disk bulge or in the brachial plexus in the neck-shoulder region (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back