Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
TN
City
Small town
Hello everyone! I have been silently following ur forum for a while now. It has provided so much information during my health concern. Thank u all for helping so many people.

The problem started 2 months ago with twitching in my face. I woke the next morn with a cramp in my calf. The twitches then became body wide. Some have been "popcorn" like twitches, some large "thumping" twitches that would jump around (scalp, face, neck, chest, biceps, hands, back, buttocks, thighs, ribs, calves, bottom of feet-u name it, it was twitching!) my fingers will move by themselves at times, as will my toes with some of the twitches.

I was extremely fatigued and felt off balance.

I began to notice my arms had an uncomfortable sensation. Very difficult to describe. They felt clumsy and seemed to require extra effort to use them. After visiting my doctor and having blood drawn and no clear answers, I was referred to neuro. My strength tests were normal. My reflexes were brisk but he felt it is my "normal" and told me not to be concerned with that. I had an MRI performed to rule out MS which,thankfully, was negative :) by the time my follow up appointment had came around, I had developed a tremble in my shoulders when I raised my arms to use them for extended times. If I used them too much, they would ache and burn in both shoulders, both arms, forearms, hands. I had hand and foot cramps throughout the day. My legs felt heavy at times and my left thigh cramped on occasion. An EMG and NCS was done. The doctor reassured me that my EMG showed no abnormalities and that the NCS showed mild sensory changes in my upper extremities.

I continue to have burning, aching pain in the same areas. The cramping has slowed down a little as have the twitches. (The twitches have slowed tremendously thank The Lord!)

My question is this-can I rest assured that I don't have ***with a clean EMG and sensory changes on NCS?

Thank u again for ur time. I am grateful. God bless.

My question is this-can I rest assured that I don't have ***with a clean EMG and sensory changes on NCS?

I'm not a doctor, but I feel confident in saying that you can be rest assured with a clean NCS, EMG and no clinical weakness detected by your neurologists that you don't have ALS or any other motor neuron disease.

Lifeenthusiast,
Thank u so much for replying. I guess I was hoping for an absolutely clean EMG and NCS so I wouldn't have any doubts. The only abnormality was sensory changes on the NCS. I wanted to check with u, the members of the forum, related to this. I value ur input. Thank u again!

You are more than welcome. I feel I can say even with my limited knowledge that sensory changes on NCS and a clean/normal EMG is not ALS. Work with your doctor to find out the cause of your sensory issues but sleep tight knowing this forum is not for you. Sincerely, wshing you all the best.

Just in case you want a second opinion:

Lynn, rest assured you don't have ALS.
Your symptoms didn't seem like ALS at all.
The EMG is proof positive you're clear.

Atsugi, I will take that second opinion any day! :) I have been silently following this forum in search of answers and reassurance for a while now. I have read several replies made by both u and lifeenthusiast. To have u both reply with positive opinions on my symptoms is like a breath of fresh air.
I hope u both realize how easily u can calm fears and how valuable u r on this forum.
Again, thank u both for ur time. Lifeenthusiast, I WILL sleep better now thanks to u both. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back