Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
That the VA pays for a PWC but not for the mechanism that lifts a person up from a seated position? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone some days with these bizarre questions. How could that even be possible when they cover everything else?

Every day we have a new obstacle. My father heard it was $4K extra and said he doesn't want it.

Are you talking about the elevate function for a PWC?

VA included this with my chair.

Yes, VA covered it for my hubby- you need to talk to the OT that ordered it. Probably an oversight. PALS get what they want/need from VA.

Star, do you mean the elevate, where the entire seat raises, or the standing feature, where it actually moves the PALS from sitting to standing? The VA does pay for elevate, but not for standing (that I know of).

I meant the elevate feature as well. Think the other ( standing) is probably not practical by the time someone needs to be in a wheelchair most of the time.

I'm talking about the standing feature. It will elevate up and down to adjust to different height tables from what I understand. We met someone who had the standing lift to get them upright on their feet.

They pay for the elevate which changes the seated height for pals about 10-12". The standing option is I believe out of pocket. The provide hoyer lifts for transfers.

My dads mobility is mainly limited by his breathing at this time. It's probably true that they wouldn't pay because it would be useless for the majority of people once they are at the point of needing the chair. For him, it would be a huge energy saver. We got a lifting recliner for that purpose.

Tim's has it and it was completely covered.
Paulette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back