Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
The bridge of my nose has gotten really red lately from using the mask, as I have had to start using the mask more. is there any danger in developing sores, or anything I can do?

My father was told there can be danger in developing sores. He's had to try different masks and wear a bandage with antibiotic cream on it to prevent infection. The medical supply company should be able to help make adjustments to find a more comfortable fit.

Star is right, Neil. You want to wear the mask properly in order for it to work, so you'll need to prevent sores. The medical supply company SHOULD have the expert to fix this up for you.

I have two different masks, one I use with nebulizer t shape, really irritates my nose, the other one I use when I sleep fastens on the side.

Janie

I don't know if it's available in the USA but we have a product here called bag balm. It is used for chapped/irritated udders on cows. Mildly antiseptic, it clears up all sorts of skin irritations. We get it at a farm supply company up here. Give it a try.
Vincent

They sell it at cvs, walmart, etc here. It is readily available. I would think Neil it is too tight over your nose. You might try loosening it a bit. Nasal pillows periodically may help , an after shave cream or lotion when not using the mask would help your skin. U fortunately you aren't supposed to use them if you have a mask on since they can break down the silicone.

Since the redness is due to pressure from the mask, no medication is going to work. It could help the redness and the pressure sore that is beginning but only if you stop using the mask. It will only get worse if the pressure isn't relieved -- and that usually requires a different mask. There are many brands out there and whoever gave you this one is responsible for finding a better fitting one. (I am years past using BiPAP so I can't suggest a better one.) Anyway, once you have a new one you may find you can continue to use your present one by alternating it with the new one.

I use rem zzzz's it's a piece of cloth shaped like your mask. It much more comfortable and stops face farts. I et mine at cpap dot come

Patrick

NexMed "gentle paper tape" and/or a piece of Telfa pad on the bridge, a cloth mask, saline gel all around the nose, the mask liner or handmade ones from a thin cotton cloth may help, or any combination, any cream that works, forget about breaking down the silicone (if you had a cloth mask, you wouldn't worry about that anyway), 'cause if it softens a little, so what? It may actually help the soreness and if the seal loosens, all these things will improve it again. It's like a leaky window pane -- something works for a while, then not...nothing lasts forever. But I really would consider the cloth mask.

I used cloth that is for cleaning glasses and cut it to fit the cushion on the mask that I call a gasket. It decreases the leaking and no more redness on the bridge of his nose. I made 3 of them and launder them and they have lasted for already 2 years. If someone else puts the gasket on and isn't careful that his skin is completely covered he will wake up with a red mark the very next morning.
Paulette

Hey Paulette
Any chance you could post a photo of the cushion you made?

Jen

I use a dap of balmex and a bandaid

We have been battling this for a while. A new solution for us is a new mask, It is from "Philips Respironics" called the "Amara View". It is a full face mask that does not come across the bridge of the nose. It has saved my wife's nose and she loves it. It is easy to put on. It is a vented mask

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you find a solution Neil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back