Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Austin
I had a clinic all day yesterday. Went through all the usual specialties. Long day as you all know!
I have a copy of my breathing test results and was wondering what some of the numbers mean. The first column is FVC, FEV1, MFEP, PEF, FEF25, FEF50, FEF75, FVC IN, MIP and MEP.

Second column at the top is Pred then Best and %(B/P).

From what I've seen here, it seems everyone looks at the percentage numbers column.
Are there any other numbers I should look more closely at?

Also, It seems most here are concerned with FVC, MIP and MEP.

FVC is 58%
MIP 35%
MEP 47%

Also, After a long wait, I had a Trilogy delivered, setup and programed this morning. I'm looking forward to using it tonight. I'm hoping I will be less sleepy all day!
Thanks in advance,
Marty

Those look like the important ones. Were any of the others significantly different from this range in percentage?
I am so glad you finally got your trilogy! Hoping you acclimatize very quickly but don't get discouraged if it is not instantaneous. It will be worth it. Sweet dreams!

By way of translation the 3 things they look at are FVC- forced vital capacity- volume of air you are able draw into your lungs- measured by measuring how much you can forcefully breathe out. MIP- maximum inspiratory pressure- force at which you can draw in air. MEP- maximum expiratory pressure- force at which you can breathe out air. All these are assigned a percent value as compared to an average person of the same height,weight and age. The basic thing they are looking at is how your diaphragm is working.
Vincent

Assuming the percentages are % of predicted, you have more expiratory (e.g. abdominal) muscle strength than some others have at that FVC, inspiratory (e.g. diaphragm) not as good. The MIP usually correlates better w/ the FVC, and the need for BiPAP, because the BiPAP is naturally better at helping you inhale. So good that you got the Trilogy.

I slept with the Trilogy for the first time last night. They gave me nasal pillows and nasal mask. Tried both and found the mask to be more comfortable.
Everything was fine for the first couple of hours. But then I woke up and the thing was blowing full blast. I had to take it off so I could go back to sleep. Probably have to get used to it. Or, may need an adjustment. Also, the screen is set at the lowest brightness level. But it still lights up the whole room!

I was also wondering how my numbers compare to others if they want to share.
Thanks,
Marty

Marty, the screen can be set to time out and go dark. Lord knows they don't set it that way from the getgo.

you may also want to only wear it for a few hours while you watch tv for the first few days, and nap time , just to get use to it. if you call the company who set it up, they shoulc be able to walk you thru the setting to adjust it. We also had the alarms turned off--very annoying

At my last Pulmonary Function Test I measured about 53%. Getting used to a mask just takes a while. I started with a cpap a year and change ago. I started on bipap back in April. The transition from one to the other was pretty smooth. I still wake up occasionally and go" holy crap there's something on my face" and rip it off.
Vincent

When my husband passed his FVC was 18%, MIP 8%, MEP 20%.

Marty, the screen can be set to time out and go dark. Lord knows they don't set it that way from the getgo.

Thanks Greg, Found that setting.

I was wondering if anyone does their own adjustments on the Trilogy? Or, do I have to get the RT back to my house. After ramp up, the air is just way too strong going in. It's been waking me up and is intolerable.
Thanks, Marty

Laurie can help advise you she is expert in this area

Marty, lots of people make their own adjustments, since needs vary as you go and there is some trial and error.
Here is a link to the quick start guide to the T200 (let me know if you need the one for the 100 but they are obviously pretty similar).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5x8bffppc24kr2m/T200QuickStartGuide.pdf?dl=0

It shows how to get into the setup screen (pg. 6) and set "full access" to the clinical menu (p.7). Obviously, you don't need to touch the circuit type since that is already set. From there, look at the settings as the picture shows. If your air is blasting you, there are 2 key settings to look at: the IPAP maximum and the tidal volume if AVAPS is enabled. They are both on the same screen. I don't know your height, but a good TV to start from might be 400 or so. IPAP, you could start at 8 or so. Unless you have pre-existing lung disease or apnea, 4 is a nice setting for EPAP, for most (you may have to scroll to see it; it's under the other two). You can try those settings, using the step-by-step shown, and you're done.

Let me know if you need anything clearer. It takes longer to type than to do!

Best,
Laurie
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxbm1heucnm26s3/T200productmanual.pdf?dl=0

Thank you so much Laurie. Mine is a T200 and I think I have the same manuals. I'm not at home now, but will check and adjust the settings this evening.
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back