Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi there. I just started looking into this and am not having luck finding a place that sells used wheelchair accessible vans near my parents. Does anyone know if there's a website where you can search by zip to see if anyone is selling one? Thanks as always!

I searched using wheelchair vans. Most va hospitals have groups they recommend. We used mobility express.

I researched them online for some time. Ultimately, I decided on the BraunAbility for us. I then went to a local dealer and priced them out. Phew! No way was I going to spend that kind of money for a vehicle that she might not even fit in. I was going to have to find one of the model I wanted (Honda Odyssey) somewhere first so that I could personally verify my ability to drive her up and into it without any problems. And so I began searching with Google looking for "BraunAbility Odyssey". Fortunately for us, a van shop some 30 miles away had just taken in a used model (2013 rather than 2014 new) and had posted it on the internet. We drove there on Monday, put Darcey in her PWC and drove her into the van with no issues. It was the exact model I wanted... same color, same package... just a year earlier. But its price was over $25,000 less than a new one. And to make it even sweeter, this used van only had 450 miles on it... it hadn't even finished its 2nd tank of gas. So look around. Call some of the mobility companies and see if they can help you locate something. And it never hurts to look on Craigslist.

I will say that having this van has made all the difference in the world. Because of it, Darcey is still coming into work with me each day. Because we can still do things, we're able to plan adventures that do much for maintaining Quality of Life as high as we can. It has been worth the cost... tenfold! Good luck in finding yours...

Jim

Try eBay,
Love Gem

Or check with the local ALSA branch sometimes CALS will try to sell through their chapter because they particularly want another PALS to have the van. My sister got a van that way. Also try MDA if case someone is selling through them

Hi Starente,

I had good luck using http://disableddealer.com/item.asp . You can sort vans by price or state. There are both private and dealers selling there. You don't need to feel restricted to buying locally. Ironically, I live in northeastern Canada and the van I bought was in San Diego where you live. I paid to have it checked out by a dealer before purchasing. The seller had just bought a new van. It was in 2005, the price was $16 000 and it was a 1999 Chrysler Town and Country with 48 000 miles. I had it shipped to Boston where I flew down and drove it home. It served me very well until I bought a new one in 2012 and I gave mine to the ALS Society.

The trick is to be patient. I waited for a month before finding mine. I had one false start in Florida where a Chrysler dealer gave me a negative inspection report on a van. Money well spent.

John

Thanks everyone! Very helpful! You guys and gals are so awesome. I can't even begin to express how much this forum, your knowledge and wisdom has helped to navigate these waters.

I got my wheelchair first and then started looking for a van. Like you, I discovered the price of new conversion vans and said "no way".

I also discovered that very few vans could accommodate my wheelchair. I was able to identify a few vans that would work and started my search. I used many online resources and finally found my van on craigslist in a city about 3 hours away.

Overall, it took about 2 months of serious searching to find the van. That van is a compromise from what I really wanted, but it has worked out well.

I am an optimist, and consider this my starter van:) I hope to replace it with another chair hauler someday that satisfies some of my more unusual desires (4 wheel driver, high ground clearance, able to tow a trailer).

I found that in my area, wheelchair vans go very quickly. I stacked the deck in my favor by having cash ready and searching daily. When I found the fan on craigslist, I moved on it instantly. Had a waited a day or two, it would have certainly been gone.

Good luck, and post pictures of what you wind up with!

Steve

yea thanks all, i too am looking as the va just gave me the finally GO later chally

Chalky, with VA approval, you can buy new- making your search so much easier. We got a new toyota sienna- and basically drove it across the street to a Braun conversion dealer! The VA paid for the entire conversion and about $20,000 of the new van. But it takes 6-8 weeks for the conversion unless you buy an already converted new van.

I would stay with Braun or VMI conversions...get your chair first...I got a van from my late grandfather but when I got my chair I couldn't fit since I am 6'5" and the chair back was tall...drive a few vans and make sure you get on a highway, especially in SD, with the hills and turns...some are higher than others and more subject to crosswind...in-floor looks better, but have a few more issues if it breaks, the folding type can just be pulled down...there is also rear entry, but I hit my head getting into them and the seating options aren't as many, I like sitting next to my wife and not behind her...drive, drive and drive them...Craigslist had a lot when I looked, but no tall ones so I got mine from The Ability Center

Doug

You said your dad is a veteran in earlier posts. He will, and can, and should, get all his equipment through the VA. There is absolutely no cost out of pocket for equipment through the VA. Ask his primary care or neurologist to order a power wheelchair for him. Someone from PT will measure him for the correct chair for a person with ALS.

You can contact the social worker at the VA where he attends and ask to be in the caregiver support program. You'll need your dad's permission and they will verify that he gives it to you. The caregiver support program has a caregiver to caregiver mentor/mentee program. You can ask to have a caregiver mentor who is familiar with ALS and vets and navigating the VA. It would be well worth your while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back