Diagnosis
02/2006
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Smiths Falls
I've not seen any information on this forum regarding BOTOX, yes Botox, to help reduce excesive drooling. My wife Tammy has Bulbar ALS and has lost her ability to swallow and speak, she uses a PEG to feed herself and a communication device to speak Anyway, we live in the country and Tammy is a nurse. She went to see one of the Dr's at the hospital where she works and the Dr. suggested trying Botox to stem the drooling. We were skeptickal but decided to try it. WOW! It does work. They inject the Botox into the salivary glands (6 of them) and it slows down the drooling for about 12 weeks. Tammy has had 3 sessions of this and now the Dr's at the ALS clinic in Ottawa are going to start administering this as a treatment.
Mark

Hi Mark. If you go the very bottom of this page there are 4 or 5 links to threads regarding Botox.
AL.

I get Botox for the saliva problem and find that after a few injections, the doctor had to increase the dose to get any effectiveness, Mine wears off after about 8 weeks but they only want to put it in every 3-4 months. It works, but there is still some saliva-- enough to need a hankie to pat my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back