Where did u work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grew up in a rural area and use to ride my bike behind a DDT fogger truck in the late fifties, early sixties. Started working in fields picking water melons at twelve. Next summer picked melons and tobacco. Kept that up until 16. I have no idea what insecticides were in use then. Played football from 12-21 (peewee league thru college). Most of my football was as a linebacker; busted webbing out of several helmets. In a college game found myself in the other teams huddle, ref took me out of the game, sat out a series of downs and got sent back into the game. Twenty four years in the Coast Guard; started driving ships then went to flight school and spent the vast majority of my career flying helicopters. After that life was pretty routine. Eight years as a Product Manager then Senior Purchasing Manager (read that stuck staring at a computer) for a technology distributor. Then partnered with my brother-in-law in our own business selling high end gas and charcoal grills (Max, I think you're familiar with the Big Green Egg; We sold more BGE's than any other store in Florida at least from 2006-2012). Mostly retail sales but my brother-in-law did the marketing and I did the physical stuff like unloading semi's, building grills and delivering appliances to our customers. One of my first heads up as to having ALS was dropping small nuts and bolts as I assembled grills and my brother-in-law asking me "what's your problem, you're dropping stuff all the time." Got to the point I couldn't keep up with my part of the partnership and I retired for good.

BK

This might be of interest although no answers
Risk factors for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis

Thank you for the link.

I apparently have experienced many of the potential risk factors: Head trauma, physical exertion, lead exposure, welding and precision metal work, vaccinations for foreign travel, and EMF exposure (ham radio and electrical fields).

Too many variables, and too much shotgun survey correlation rather than linked causation. I wish we knew more.

Everyone have a good weekend.

According to a little bitty research, it seems that our PALS were quite a healthy, physically fit bunch, mostly with somewhat physical jobs. This agrees with the research Nikki linked to.

Also, while less than 10% of US adults served in the forces, we are over 14% of the membership here. That jibes with the current stat saying that military service increases your chances by half.

One other observation, everybody here seems to have led quite interesting and exciting lives. Well done!

Would appreciate more responses to "Where did you work?"

My Joe grew up on a farm (sure there were pesticides) and had a head trauma about age 12 (fell off a railroad trestle bridge). Was in the army for 2 years, basic in Texas and the rest at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland . After marriage, 2 kids and putting ourselves through college, he had mostly desk jobs in marketing for The State. We did live in a new subdivision in his early 20's - that had been built on a former manufacturing site. Several of the neighborhood kids (including one of our daughter's) developed auto immune diseases as young adults. He was an avid exerciser and in his early 70's was still working out 5-6 days a week, ran 3+ miles several days a week! and golfed whenever he could. That continued right up to diagnosis (although he complained his golf game went downhill- a major disappointment!) when he was too tired to exercise as much. His eating was super healthy- including all the extras like flaxseed, fish oil, etc. Didn't smoke, seldom drank, had always been healthy, did it all "right"- but that prevent the demon from getting him. So interesting to read the stories. Names become real people with a vast array of experiences! Donna

My PALS qualified as a photographer and did national service for two years in the South African defence force (although he is german, he grew up in South Africa). Thereafter he was in business. Owned his own company - financial advisors and investment managers. He was a competitive cyclist, so extremely fit, healthy and motivated. Type A personality, so lots of stress too.

Poppies steve worked as a.photographer in the army. They processed film by hand and sent some off for processing.

Mike, interestlingly, all of Steves jobs were close to military installations or heavy port areas with bad air quality. He also worked in Washington D.C. for awhile in communications.

Steph (and everybody), while I trust that researchers have done their demographic research, I have to admit that I'm curious to see it. I haven't actually seen proof that anyone has done a meaningful demographic survey of PALS. Does anyone know of any?

Anyway, let's hear some more answers to the question "Where did you work?"

Poppies, I've always wondered if stress was a triggering factor. My PALS Krissy was under the most incredible family and work stress when she became ill. She was also a big Type A, demanding that everything was done correctly. (Except, curiously, she was really loosey-goosey and forgiving of my many faults.)

The ALS registry includes a risk factor survey. A while back I remember filling out an environmental exposure survey for ALS Worldwide. The UMass gene study which was a one time thing involved pages and pages on questions about all kinds of things and the Miami preFALS study takes an incredibly detailed history of everything you can think of from birth to study entry on first visit and updates everything each visit. It included residences and possible nearby exposures from that, occupation and exertion during that, exercise, food, medications, hobbies as well as medical surgical and pschiatric history ( I might have left out a few things. It took hours to do). Now the last 2 are looking at FALS of course. My clinic also requested permission for the researchers to datamine my medical record I don't know what they were looking for though. But certainly it is something looked at in the studies I have been in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back