Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
This thread is for PALS to share what benefit they see from having some kind of ALS "add on"
Such as power chair bipap feeding tube. Yes maybe it seems like propaganda but I often see PALS post that after hesitating they are glad to have a certain thing

I am glad I got my afo early. It helps me walk better and I get less tired walking and less tired during the day

>I am glad I got my....bidet toilet seat

Chair, BiPap, feeding tube cough assist, diaphragm pacer, glad for all of this crap.
Patrick

Not strictly a PALS Nikki, but I'm VERY glad I've got Henry...my scooter.
J x

I'd have to say my scooter. Just having the ability to go along the lake front trails without zipping along at 35 mph allows me to take in so much more. And my dog approves heartily.
Vincent

Bipap, I would not be able to sleep if I did not have it.

Wheelchair & van, Bidet, Bipap, bed bar, shower chair, hoyer lift, ramp...model talker voice bank

This thread is for PALS to share what benefit they see from having some kind of ALS "add on"
Such as power chair bipap feeding tube. Yes maybe it seems like propaganda but I often see PALS post that after hesitating they are glad to have a certain thing

I am glad I got my afo early. It helps me walk better and I get less tired walking and less tired during the day

What is " afo " ?

There are different kinds. Mine is carbon fiber and not exactly a boot It supports foot ankle and lower leg. Supposedly will even help a bit when thigh begins to weaken, I guess because when I wear it the thigh muscles do not have to compensate for the lower leg ones. Bill if you need an afo or other kind of brace there is a fabulous orthotist in Boston. He only sees a few diagnoses and ALS is one so he is especially knowledgeable

Wheelchair & van, Bidet, Bipap, bed bar, shower chair, hoyer lift, ramp...model talker voice bank

Plus insulated mug with straw, Simply Thick, early on adaptive utensils no longer used so donated, a cup holder with velcro strap that fits on his chest to drink made by a neighbor, Calazime cream for any irritations and really helps prevent bedsores. Special air mattress for hospital bed.

Sherry

im glad that i finally got a bed. it's been working out good

Ankle-foot Orthosis. It's a plastic boot that reinforces the foot and ankle.

I got fitted for a carbon fiber one / don't have it yet / don't think I'm going to like it.

Does the plastic boot help with foot drop?

BILL W

I got fitted for a carbon fiber one / don't have it yet / don't think I'm going to like it.

Does the plastic boot help with foot drop?

BILL W

G'day bill. Mine is carbon fibre too...helps big time. Have balance issues whilst wearing it only, not tripping issues.
I'm going to get a new one. Mine is a bit fiddly to do up, threading the Velcro through a little gap. Getting harder to manage one handed. And to be totally honest, I don't give a rats what the podiatrist says this time, I'm the one who wears it, we are doing it my way!
Good lord...that was a rant!
Good luck with your new book.
God bless, Janelle x
PS...I have to wear a shoe two sizes too big to accommodate the boot and normal size on my good foot. Makes shoe shopping (boring - no pretty shoes) and expensive!

Janelle I have an ottobock walkon reaction the velcro simply wraps so you could manage one handed. It is made in Germany and I see they have a presence in Australia. It is very supportive and seems pretty durable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back