Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
Pa
City
Wexford
I am sure a lot of people that have sporadic ALS wonder what caused it. You can't help but wonder. I may have had a predisposition that I am unaware, but for me I believe it may have been caused by overexertion. As an example, working hard long hours all day in very hot conditions to exhaustion. Lifting weights like I was a kid that I got away with when I was younger, but at 58 my body couldn't handle it any more. I am curious how many others believe their onset may have been triggered by similar experiences. Please, let me know your thoughts.

Hi there. Sorry I am quite new to the forum and unsure if I've heard of sporadic ALS? Could you please explain it a little.
Thank you, Janelle x

Hello, Sorry to find you here, (I just joined about a month ago). So far I've found a bunch of great folks, all in the same ugly boat.

To respond to your question: I'd bet my bottom dollar that Crestor caused my ALS. But what my Doctor says....everyone he's ever treated, has his own idea what started it. It's because it's such an earth shaking development something can always be assiciated with it. A dog bite, a divorce, a bad car accident, dental surgury.....you name it.

I'm as far away from a scientist as you'll ever find.....but it's my thesis....that nothing you did caused your illness. It's a crappy roll of the dice. It's our job now to deal with it. Be as brave as possible and leave this earth with as much dignity as we can manage.

God Bless Us All.......Glenn

Sporadic ALS ( SALS) refers to nonfamilial ALS SALS is what most PALS have. Genetic ALS ( FALS) which is what I have is fortunately rare. The usual number quoted is 5-10 percent. People in FALS families have multiple members over multiple generations and our children have a 50 percent chance of inheriting the disease

Sporadic as apposed to familial, meaning that the cause is unknown. Jrtriggs, I was a triathlete and marathoner and other than military personnel (who are regularly physically and mentally stressed) endurance athletes have an abnormally large percent of individuals who are diagnosed with ALS. I believe that continual over exerting, and not just "Oh I over did it today", but a regular pushing of oneself when the body says stop, was part of what led to ALS in me. I am also convinced that years and years of contaminating our bodies with foods that are full of things that are naturally poisonous to us helped. If you tax your body and then feed it small dowses of poison over a long period of time something has to give. Like most men though, I thought for years that I was essentially invincible and ignored nutrition and reveled in the abuse my training gave my body.

In short my stupidity has led to tremendous heartache for my family.

Hi there. Sorry I am quite new to the forum and unsure if I've heard of sporadic ALS? Could you please explain it a little.
Thank you, Janelle x

Sporadic means random verses familial which means more than one person in the family has als.

Got ya...thanks everyone.
I'm sorry you find yourself here jrt, but I'm sure you've been following for a while and know there are so many wonderful people here to support you on your journey.
I guess there are many theories as to what causes ALS/MND. I'm sure moving a cupboard caused my PLS.
I feel with what we are going through we are definitely allowed to have our theories and stick to them, if it helps.
It can't change anything, but if it eases that good old inner torment...
God bless, Janelle x

>Please, let me know your thoughts.

i'm sure it's from dog hair ...

Attachments

• IMG_5055.jpg
    IMG_5055.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 190
This is an interesting topic.....I think we all have hunches about what triggered our MND. By the time I sold my retail business in 2003, I had full blown PTSD. 20 years of babysitting and tolerating employees, dealing with AH( azzholes) customers, and 60 hour work weeks took a heavy toll on me. Then I jumped into a few other professions that were very stressful, they finished me off. I think it is stress related, plus poisons contribute to it. I was also a gym rat, and pushed my body to the max.
I have a few other ideas, but if I told ya I'd haf to kill ya.:)

I took statins for 25 years, and because of my childhood was always "on guard" Every little thing made me stressed out. Those and a genetic predisposition to it are my guesses.
I like the comment gooing out with as much dignity as possible.
Its very hard to have dignity with this disease. I really admire those who can do it.

Jrtriggs, my life just prior to ALS onset was similar to yours. I was pushing myself to the max. My father, whom I was very close to, died the same day we moved from a large house to a small condo, and I was teaching full-time. There were also stressors at work. I was exhausted, but kept pushing myself to manage everything. A month of this, and my symptoms started. I had an interesting conversation with some team members at our ALS clinic. They've been there for years, and their theory is that sporadic ALS is caused by a genetic predisposition and something that triggers it, e.g., severe stress or an injury.
-Charlene

Like so many of you, my husband was also a gym rat- running, working out 5-6 days a week, golfing- eating healthy and a guy who was never sick. The VA ALS doctor said they find that ALS hits the healthiest (and nicest!) people. Military, sports, active life styles may all be triggers. Ironic isn't it, that when you do everything right to keep your body healthy you can still get this disease. His comment about "the nicest people" is evidenced on this forum!

I believe my ALS was triggered from over exertion, too. Long hours of strenuous yard work in 100 degree temps on top of all my other biking and weight lifting activities.

I have no scientific basis for this feeling, though. It really doesn't matter at this point.

Yep, I've heard the "nicest people" comment before.

(But then there's Big Mark!)

Yeah, I thought about that Greg! But since we all love Mark,guess he squeaks into the "nicest people" category by default!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back