Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
I've been using bipap for almost 3 months and this problem seems to be getting worse. After about 3 hours I wake up with a mouth so dry that it is scary. Tongue feels stuck to roof of mouth, hard to swallow. Then I have to take it off, which then results in headache later.

The machine is Respironics AVAPS
I'm using the mask that goes over nose only called Wisp
It is really dry here in AZ - may be factor
I do use med mj before bed which I'm thinking drys mouth, too, but puts me to sleep and keeps cramps away

What I've done:
- turned humidier on machine to top setting = 5
- use chin strap to help mouth stay closed
- use Biotene to brush teeth and rinse mouth with before bed

Any ideas?

Wish I could help but not knowledgeable enough. Don't think you meant to post this on DIHALS. I'm sure Nikki will move it.

Vince

DIHALS? Wishful thinking?

Oh man, I wish, Nikki! Now all those DIHALSers with dry mouth will start to panic. Thanks for moving thread.

Do you have a heated tube, if not get one it will allow you to turn the humidly setting down. I changed to the heated tube about 2 months ago, it definatley helps with my dry nasal passages and mouth. I use a wisp also, and couldn't tolerate the nasal pillows that go in the nostrils. It felt like my brain was getting blown up, and hurt my nasal passages.
There are several things that moisturize your mouth and help with nasal dryness.
Meds could be a culprit as well.
If you use the small mask, pm me and I will send you a brand new one. I use the large, and have no use for the small or XL that comes with the wisp.:)

In one of the Facebook als groups someone mentioned XyliMelts. They noted that biotene did them no good.

Thanks Mark and Greg.

I would like your small mask and will pm. Can send you large if you can use it.

Will order those mints, Greg.

This is one of the most uncomfortable developments so far. Progression sucks.

I know it sounds counterintuitive, but I would try leaving off strap -- a little moisture into your mouth is good, and many learn to keep mouth mostly closed. A lot of people I think in sleep fight straps.

Ayr saline sprays, nasal steroid before bed if you have allergies, Olba herbal inhaler, anything to open nose and let more air through. Because if chin strap is really working, it's not that dry air is getting into your mouth, and you want to keep using your MMJ. Are you using a fan? Do you have central air or heat going? Try adding/subtracting/redirecting airflow in the room.

Thanks Laurie. I left strap off and had better night. No fan, no heat or cooling. It did rain last night so that may have helped. Going to get keep experimenting.

If it is dry right now, as I guess it often is in AZ, sometimes we used a cool mist room humidifier in addition to the machine's heated one. Cool mist puts a little more humidity into the air you are breathing without the air's being heated twice, in effect.

Honeywell makes a small one that we would put on the rolling table we normally put Larry's food on, and bring into the bedroom for the night, very near his bed. Glad things are going the right direction.

I don't use the machine but I was having the same issue. My tongue felt swollen, my tastebuds were raised, my tongue did stick to the roof of my mouth several times during the night. This has been going on for over 6 months, Just two nights ago, I was so thirsty but I can't swallow well, and I have a feeding tube. 3am I put 6oz of distiller water in my tube, got back up a at 7 & my mouth felt better. I was dehydrated. So everyday I've been making an effort to make sure I get additional water especially before bed or get up in the night to add water. My skin was looking terrible too, it's now more plump and full.
Possible the air moving from the machine for hours excellerates dehydration?

The PAP wouldn't cause dehydration inside the body, but could make it more obvious, as happened in your case. All P/CALS should take care to avoid dehydration to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back