Bad coughing Fit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbie: Glad to hear he is feeling a little better today. Keep a really good eye on him and call the doctor if you need too.

Thanks for updating us Barbie, I've been thinking of you both a lot.

I've always put balsamic vinegar on salads, and not sure that it gives a person the runs, but I guess something did!

I should have mentioned one other thing in responding to Barbie. For some people, proactively "coughing" or "spitting" out excess saliva/phlegm first thing, last thing and in between during the day works best. We could not use a CoughAssist, inhalers or decongestants due to Larry's other medical conditions. We used the "select a size" paper towels so we could use half a towel, itself folded in half, held up to his mouth. This didn't keep him from having unexpected episodes, obviously, but reduced their number. We kept this up even with continuous BiPAP since he used a nasal mask.

Yes, hot tea can be good -- avoiding the herbs that can cause sneezing.

I see by your posts, you're a real night person, Laurie.

Since I read on wiki a couple of weeks ago that coughing, yelling, etc., causes phlegm, I have stopped using the cough assist, and I'm not coughing at all.

So glad that things are better, Barbie. Basalmic vinegar--I need to file that one away. Here's hoping for a good night tonight for both of you.

Becky

update: yesterday the RT came to visit and check on his Trilogy. He was in the middle of a coughing spell--not very bad but still coughing. she talked with him, and decided to order a cough assist for him. she also reminded him the importance of drinking water to thin the secretions! she is a good person!

Timing is everything Barbie! The cough assist sounds like it is very needed and they can't deny how things are when they are seen having an actual coughing episode...

Greybeard, glad to hear it!

ALS is such an enigma. Greybeard, you do better without the cough assist. We can't imagine where my husband would be this week without it. (Or maybe we can--ER.)

Barbie, I hope it helps! When my own PALS gets into a coughing fit, a few cycles of the CA and he can finally settle down. He's only had it 2 weeks, but it came just in time.

Hope your guy feels better soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back