Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone. Was wondering if any of you are using a nebulizer for breathing issues. Got my dad one and he's using Budesonide with it. He said it helps for
an hour or two. I'm looking to see if we can extend any sort of relief and wondered if another med like Albuterol might last longer. We're going to the clinic next week and I will Also ask if it's possible to use more than once a day. Just wondered if anyone had experience with this. TIA!

I take the Budesonide, along with the Albuterol, twice a day, morning and night. I take Albuterol by itself in the middle of the evening.

Thanks Jake. Do you find one or the other to be more long lasting? I have asthma myself and have taken Albuterol at least four times today. It's only helping for an hour or so.

Budesonide made a world of difference for me, I use albuterol every four hours as needed.

Janie

I would say the ones that I take together twice a day would be longer lasting.

I used an albuterol inhaler for the first time. Laboring breathing for days and after a couple of puffs it was like a weight had been lifted from m8y diaphragm. It only lasted a few hours though. But if it gives any relief at all it's worth it.

How does a nebulizor help a weak diaphragm? When they where trying to find out why I had breathing problems (prior yo my ALS diagnosis) they put me on several different nebulizors with no effect.

I don't think it can Pete but if someone has a small amount of spasm or inflammation complicating things it can help that which would decrease the work of the diaphragm

I think of it as pouring oil in a engine that is breaking down. The diaphragm is getting weaker over time (nothing we can do about that) but any clearing of the airway makes the work just a little bit easier. This 'little bit' can be a huge relief in terms of how much work the diaphragm has to do. Even if it is only for a hour or two.

I have a T that connects my trilogy to my nebulizer to get the air further into my lungs, made a huge difference. I still have trouble breathing with exertion.

Janie

Pete, They tried them with my husband with no results as well. Inhalers generally treat obstructive pulmonary disease....bronchi dilate and obstruct the airway. The inhaler causes the bronchi/alveoli to go back to normal. ALS pulmonary issues are generally restricitve. The muscle dysfunction restricts the amount of air that can be moved. The lungs themselves work fine exchanging gases but they don't inflate due to poor muscle function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back