Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
US
City
US
So I just learned tonight that my great-aunt had Pick's disease. Does anyone know anything about this (I guess it is a type of FTD?) and relation to ALS? I imagine the association is FTD with ALS, but I just wanted to scout out any info you might have as we see the neurologist tomorrow morning (I am not looking forward to this).:confused:

Drop it in Google:
FTD used to be called Pick's disease after Arnold Pick, a physician who in 1892 first described a patient with distinct symptoms affecting language. Some doctors still use the term "Pick's disease." Other terms you may see used to describe FTD include frontotemporal disorders, frontotemporal degeneration and frontal lobe disorders.​

It seems as though there is a particular pathology associated with the brain tissue though... and this is what distinguished it from Alzheimers. I guess I am curious if anyone on here has had other family members diagnosed as Pick's disease.

FTD and Alzheimers are indeed very different diseases, otherwise we would say ALS + Alzheimers.

Nikki is away at the moment, but she has familial ALS and her family members often have FTD involved. She is a wealth of knowledge and should be back by the end of this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back