Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Pa
City
Philadelphia
Hello I have been a lurker on here for a little bit and figured I would post and see your thoughts. I really appreciate your time reading this.

For the last 2 years or so I have noticed some weakness in my legs. Weakness being more of a feeling not clinical weakness. I can still do everything I could before (not measured as I do not do much activity besides day to day and golfing) but noticed some feeling of muscles shaking or vibrating when going downstairs. I typed weakness into google and of course that led me to ALS. Upon researching I found out about fasciculations which I had but didn't think anything of it until reading about it. I also feel as though my muscles are tense or stiff. Best way I can explain is I can stretch anytime and it feels like that first morning stretch which kind of takes your breath away.

My fasciculations are all over for the most part arm, eyelid, thigh, butt, and feet. I do get some form of twitch every day. After reading about it my anxiety sky rocketed. I went on a golfing trip to myrtle beach and played golf 4 days in a row with not many problems. About a week from returning I played again and was going up about 15-20 steps and by the time I reached the top both of my quads were cramped and it was hard to go back down the stairs. I figured I pulled something. It went away but I went to play agin a week later and was walking up a hill and it came back. I only played 9 holes and haven't played since. I still have the pain in my right quad and can make it reappear in both anytime by just running up the stairs. This has been going on for about a month and a half.

Recently I have had random zaps in my lower legs. They last not even a second but do occur off and on and it's mainly in my legs. Feels as though someone is poking me with a pin or like a static cling shock but on the skin.

When I talked to my GP I did not have the zaps. He did strength tests push, pull, stand on toes and heels and squat. He said there was nothing there to require a neuro visit unless I wanted one. He said I needed to get into shape and do walking and running for 2 months and then come back if it hadn't gone away. I was ok with that for a bit but of course anxiety came on and I was back online. My plan is to set up a neuro visit and get the MRI and emg but I am waiting for my exam for life insurance just to make sure if it is terrible, my kids (3 months and 1.5 yrs) are taken care of. Once I'm covered I plan on continuing the testing.

My concern still lies with the fasciculations and some people I read about such as Tim Shaw who is the nfl player who did not show any of the major symptoms (weakness, foot drop, etc) and was diagnosed. I also read there are some that do not show the regular signs but are still diagnosed. I just wanted to get a thought if anyone had this as their initial signs before developing clinical weakness or thoughts about those diagnosed who do not show the major signs. I did read the stickies but wanted to know about symptoms before clinical weakness. Thanks again if you read this and I appreciate what you go through day to day.

You absolutely need to stay off of Dr. Google. It is causing you unnecessary stress. Doesn't sound a bit like ALS to me but I am not a expert on it. But, my opinion is that you over did it when exercising. If you did read the stickies I don't think you paid enough attention to them. Your answers to your questions are there. Enjoy your kids and get things ready for Christmas and keep your mind occupied with other things. I have a strong feeling that you are going to be just fine. Relax!

Where did you get that about Tim Shaw? He speaks of not being able to train. Not being able to do bicep curls. Not understanding why he could not do the normal training preseason program and he had twitches too but he definitely reported weakness

Last edited:
Javalog, you're asking about the rarest of rare, and that's not how medicine works.

You already know, I think, that perceived weakness has nothing to do with ALS. ALS doesn't fatigue muscles, it destroys the nerve that makes them go. The first sign of ALS is a muscle that, for no known reason, suddenly doesn't contract, at all, anymore, forever.

In ALS, twitches don't occur all over the body. Widespread twitches are a sign of anxiety, not ALS. In ALS, twitching occurs localized to a muscle that is being paralyzed.

Your GP knows what he's doing. You don't have ALS.

You are just incredibly unfit, follow your doctors advice.

You show NO signs of ALS.

I've said before, wizards first rule - People are stupid. They believe what they want to believe, or what they most fear to be true.

You have no symptoms of ALS, and you try to show you do by totally misquoting symptoms of someone famous.

Every time you feel feel anxious, go and exercise until you drop. You know what, people who are unfit will go through a LOT of pain to get fit again, so don't stop because it hurts or gets hard to do.

All the best with your serious issues.

My apologies if I misunderstood what he went through. I searched a lot but found he lost some athletic ability but was still able to train while he waited for a diagnosis. You guys know way more than me about this (obviously) and I understand your frustration with the post. I'll chalk this one up to anxiety over the severe leg cramps and get my ass outside. Anything on the shock in the legs? I'll be done after this post. Sorry and thanks again.

Nothing.

Glad you are taking the advice and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back