Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
Its been discussed before, but I am just too damn lazy these days to search back....

Please forgive me.

What are your preferences? Which is best for writing? Which is best for speech generation? Which is best overall? I am rapidly approaching non-verbal and typing with one finger, but using 2 hands to do it.

Thanks again guys. It seems I am taking from here MUCH more than I am giving back.
May God Bless you and keep you close to Him.

Hey Rob. Was recently told that tobii bought out dynavox . Don't know what this will mean as to future availability of dynavox

>What are your preferences? Which is best for writing? Which is best for speech generation? Which is best overall? I am rapidly approaching non-verbal and typing with one finger, but using 2 hands to do it.

I have both tobii units - their system and the PC add on. I put the PC add on on one of my 30" monitors and the eye recognition is very good. more important my pc is vrey fast and loaded with my stuff including my hotkey app. And it was around $1,500. the tobii sysyem is good too, mobie, but costs $16k.

check w/ mda/alsa and steve gleason to see if you can get a loaner to try.

Can you try things out at clinic? They should have an assistive technologies person you can make an appointment to see.
My sister has a dynavox. She is not totally happy with it but some of it might be she started too late and a long time after training. I find it cumbersome as well but I did not get any training at all so maybe there are shortcuts I don't know about

If you are just now losing hand movement/voice, perhaps you still have head movement? A SmartNav then would be worth a try.
If you have tongue and/or lip movement, possibly a Tetramouse.
Not sure about your feet, but there are foot mice.
And, of course, any functional muscle can operate a switch for comp/device access.
It sounds like a lot of clinics/AT people go straight from regular comp access to eye gaze, when there is much in between with switches and alternative mice, depending on preferences/abilities.
I guess my mantra is that you don't need an "SGD" to generate speech unless your only computer access is via eye gaze, since any computer, tablet or smart phone can generate speech. Since there are limited options for a "Medicare-compliant" device but other eye gaze projects are coming up, if you don't need an SGD for access now, you might find more of a feature set/interoperability later on.

I am limited to 1 finger typing on my nook. It take 2 hands to type with one finger.

My dad is supposed to be getting some type of device soon that he controls with his eyes. When I find out what it is for sure and get more details I will post. I am going to see my dad over Columbus day. I will look over all his stuff and let everyone know what is working for him and isn't and let you know.

Rob, how's your voice? dns is really good even now ...

I can't get enough breath to speak above a whisper

>I can't get enough breath to speak above a whisper

:-(

ALS sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back