Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Grand Rapids
Hi, I am a 22 year old male who recently started having some rather scary symptoms that have made me afraid that I might have ALS or some other motor neuron disease. I woke up a week ago with my hands and legs feeling weaker than normal. At first my hands felt almost like they were asleep and I had to reassure myself that I could still in fact move them. I thought that this weakness in my arms and legs would just go away with time and I didn't think much of it. The next day I still had the weakness but it suddenly increased around lunch time. I felt dizzy and my hands and legs were very weak. I could no longer pass this off as nothing. I searched google for sudden weakness in limbs and got als as one of the search results. Obviously, this scared me a lot and I soon became convinced that I had some kind of neurological problem. The next day, my symptoms again changed. I suddenly felt very sore in my arms and upper legs in addition to the weakness from before. My hands also felt weak and when I tried to clean my ears out with q-tips I noticed my fingers were not making the right movements to twist the q-tip. Fine finger movements in general became slightly awkward. Mostly the weakness is in my knuckles, my knees and my upper arms. Several times throughout the day I experienced something like a foot drop. My foot didn't actually drag along the ground but I didn't lift it all the way and the tips of my toes grazed along the ground for a second. This happened several times. In addition to this I have have weird twitching and fasciculations throughout my body. Starting yesterday I noticed that chewing has become really difficult. I just get so tired trying to chew my food that I need to take a break because my jaw and forehead muscles feel so tired.

Besides the weakness, I also have had some other weird symptoms. A few weeks ago, before the noticeable weakness started, I began to feel like I was losing control of my bladder. Not that I actually leaked any urine, but it felt like there was urgency and I had to go even when there was little urine in my bladder. It felt like urine was trying to leak out, basically. And while we are "down there" I suppose I should also mention that I have experienced some erectile dysfunction and difficulty having an orgasm as well. I am 22 years old. This can't be normal.

Needless to say, these symptoms are hard to dismiss as nothing. I don't know what could be causing this but I am very worried. Is it common for people with als to have a sudden symmetrical onset of muscle weakness in both arms and legs? Anyway, if you could give me your thoughts on what is wrong with me I would be very grateful to you. Thanks.

>I am 22 years old. This can't be normal.

right, see your pcp, stay off of this site after you have read the stickies. see a real doc, we are not.

kind regards,

-----
Max - Monday, July 21, 2014 12:00:41 AM
-----
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013
It Is What It Is ...

Krowden honey your symptoms are not nothing.

You need to see a doctor straight away and tell him/her everything you have told us.

You will receive help for your unnatural anxiety and then you must accept that you are not about to die of the monster ALS.

Please stick to only going to doctors about this problem and you will find relief. The internet will only cause you to spiral out of control even more

All the best

You need to see a pcp and get full bloodwork done.

This does not sound like ALS at all.

Bladder and erectile functions are autonomic nervous system, not motor. This points away from ALS.
Soreness would be sensory nerves--pointing away from ALS.
Your weakness is perceived weakness, not clinical weakness. Remember that ALS is about failing, not feeling. What is it you can't do? Stand on your toes, raise you hands above your head, button a shirt, open a jar, stand?

See your PCP and in the meantime, stop worrying. As a psychiatrist told me 50 years ago, "That which you fear most, you cause to happen." If you fear having ALS symptoms, your anxiety will create them. And remember, Dr Google is the worst diagnostician around. Stay away from him and see a real doctor.

>I suppose I should also mention that I have experienced some erectile dysfunction and difficulty having an orgasm as well. I am 22 years old.

certainly not when I was 22 -- 52+ 22 = 1974 ... Mindi, motorcycles, ah to be 22 again and know what I know now :)

As you wrote, ("I suppose I should also mention that I have experienced some erectile dysfunction and difficulty having an orgasm as well. I am 22 years old. This can't be normal.") With all the symptoms you wrote previous to that I doubt getting "in the mood" would really rise to the occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back