Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
We're starting to plan the bathroom renovation. I realize a large, open shower that will accommodate a specialized chair is a must, but how about a tub if there's room? Have any of you (or your) PALS found that soaking in a warm bath helps relieve muscle ache? If so, what kind of tub would be useable the longest? Would a walk-in be helpful in the early stages? Is it at all possible to use a lift and sling to sit in a molded seat? Not sure if any of this is doable, but I'm hopeful for a slow progression, and if it would help at all...

We have a large soaker tub next to our roll in shower, and our ceiling lift rail goes from the toilet to the open off loading area to the tub. I have given my husband a few soaks but keep him in his sling, as he feels more secure in it. I usually get in with him, and we soak and chat. He has not wanted to go in the tub lately as he does not find it that comfortable. I wish I could find a soft chair apparatus that he could sit in, allowing me to take the sling off. I have a couple of slings so that I can use a dry one to transfer him into bed or his PWC. I am a true bath person, so what I do after I settle my husband is go and soak myself and relax before I go to bed.
Paulette

If I got in a tub I would not be able to get out. :) I have a roll in shower and although I can still walk in to it that will probably not be for too much longer. I have not experinced any muscle aches just muscle loss.

Rick

If you had a clawfoot tub, you could lower your pALS into it with a lift. I guess you can do that in a walk in tub, too. :)

Thank you all. Paulette, soaking together sounds lovely, and the bath at the end of the day just perfect. I'm a bath person and kind of suspect hubby might be suggesting the bath for himself just to insure that I don't sacrifice it in trying to accommodate him. On the other hand, it just might provide some comfort for him, especially in colder months. Can you tell me more about the soaker tub? Is it taller than a normal tub, and if so, any problems clearing it with the lift? Does it have any kind of seat, or is your husband completely suspended all the time? I love the idea of a soft chair. They make them for babies, why not a tub liner for adults? Perhaps drying would be an issue because of the size, but maybe foam over an inflatable liner. Hmmm.. Rick, I'm glad you haven't had aches. My husband gets cramping and has aches from injuries that will be compounded by his progression. How would you feel about being lifted into a tub if it was possible? Adozi, I actually thought of a claw foot while looking at pictures online--simply because of the contour and it appears that one might be higher off the ground and have less unused water. That would also be a lot more affordable than a walk in.

I would not even consider a walk in tub. I don't think he could use it that long, and when I think about it wouldn't they have to sit while it fills up, and then again while it drains. My husband gets chilled quite easily so I don't think that would be good. Again I have a ceiling lift, so it doesn't matter what the height of the tub is. So far my husband stays in the sling while in the tub, as I haven't found a chair seat that would sit in the tub. Our tub is quite deep, so I am thinking that I may try the seat that we had in the beginning that lowered him into the tub. It had a head support, but not arm supports. The most important thing is that it doesn't allow him to slip out of it in the tub, which would mean something that would lean back. The tub buddy commode chair that he has would not allow him to be in the water. Drying him isn't too much of a problem, as I raise him in the sling over the tub, and dry his hair and face, and then drape than towel across his shoulders and chest. I use another towel to dry each leg and bottom and drape that over his abdomen and legs. I have a large towel on his pwc and lower him and the net sling into his chair. I remove the sling and dry his back while doing that. A towel warmer, or a heat lamp would be nice, as he chills much quicker in the evening. I put on his oversized T-shirt, do the rest of his evening care, put a new dry sling on and put him into his bed. I usually throw his quilt in the dryer, so it is still hot when I cover him up. A padded seat, that is in a reclined position for the tub would be ideal, but haven't seen one so far. The tub does have a reclining back, but he slides down, as his legs will not brace him.
Paulette

the people at clinic reminded me that'll walk in tub has you sitting naked while it fills up, and worse than that, has you sitting naked and wet while it drains. We went with an elegant role in shower and I don't miss the tub a bit.

I am not a fan of walk-in tubs. truly the doors are quite narrow and not accessible to physically disable. they are really more suited to the elderly and still mobile. using a lift to get in one would be quite difficult as the sides are very high.

My husband enjoys soaking in a nice hot and long shower. I let him sit under the hot water as long as he likes. he would not feel secure soaking in any body of water ( we have a whirlpool tub and a hot tub and he will not use them even with a lift).

Thank you all. Great points on the walk in tubs. I'm not sure where my brain is....we considered and discarded the idea of a walk-in for my mom for the same reasons. Argh. Paulette, your detailed description is very helpful...as always! A larger capacity dryer might be helpful...

wish I could hoist my PALS into our spa as I so miss it and just can't bring myself to get in without him, seems even worse than eating a greasy hamburger or overfilled salad sandwich in front of him!

I have been planning and anticipating the wheres and whats of everything and came to the conclusion we will have to convert our hot tub room into a bedroom as it will give Barney easier access to everything. Of course when we built this house we were young and wanted a sunken living room and so of course when we added on the hot tub room it had to be sunken and of course a sunken shower was at the top of our list. So in planning mode first note to myself was we will need ramps, no problem but how will I get him into the shower, not an issue we will use a lift. I talked to my son, he looked the situation over and so no we do not need a lift there we will get some stainless steel with the girding in it and it will be supported by the brick lip around the edge of the shower. All we will need to do is get an extension for the shower head and will be able to shower him in a chair. (I just realized we will need a lift to get him out of the chair and into the wheelchair) Shoot! Best laid plans of man and mice.
Sorry for the confusion, back to the planning.
Hugs
Linda

Tillie, I really wanted to use our hot tub also but apparently the water pressure is extremely hard on the breathing muscles and of course the hazards of slipping and not being able to get him back out. I drained ours and miss it like crazy!
Hugs
Linda

Yeah I better drain ours, I just can't get it in as I feel too guilty :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back