Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
SC
City
Clinton
Hi everyone. My brother was diagnosed on Friday 2/21/14 with MND. The neurologist said he doesn't think it is full blown ALS since he has been dealing with thus for about 5 years. This began with him saying he felt weakness in his upper body. We then began noticing the muscle loss in his hands and upper body. Today he has lost the ability to use his hands very well and has no ability to use the thumb and fingers. He has been experiencing some breathing issues. He doesn't appear to have much of his lower muscles involved. He is having some speech problems and a very hyper sensitive gag reflex. The Dr told us that it appears to be a variant of MND. What does that mean? He also suggested we go to an ALS clinic. I'm really confused! Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks

Nikki has given great advice...good general neurologists are helpful and quick to refer...Columbia has a clinic and I think there are others within reach ...also MCG in Augusta...just a suggestion though, if he winds up in a clinic setting and is followed there, eventually appointments and transportation and all that goes with it is involved...not first consideration but a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back