Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
KY
City
Louisville
I've been using QWERTY because it's what i was used to, but it occurs to me that it was made for two hands, so it's probably not that efficient. So, eye gaze users, what keyboard do you use?

I just use a QWERTY keyboard. It doesn't seem to make much difference to me. The dwell time to select the letter or word is much more the limitation compared to the track time between the letters for me.

I tried several, but got lost when not QWERTY :) Think I use the computer too much - too used to where things are!

Brian, if this is too obvious, please forgive me, but do you know you can adjust that? It's in Settings, Tobii cEye settings, Dwell settings.

I use the Swedish qwerty. Still doing Perl and php coding etc. and find it really frustrating that regular parentheses are on one sheet, fancy parentheses and the dollar sign on another and the letters on yet another. A fourth line with customizable characters (and perhaps even a fifth one to have the numbers directly available) would be really nice.

Have you tried Click N Type? It has the standard Qwerty keyboard but also lets you create your own keyboard layouts. I have one for normal use and one for html coding. You can also create macros to type things you use frequently such as your name or address or <h4> and other code items with just two keystrokes. I also use Dasher for anything that requires and length because it is faster. Both programs are free, have alphabets for many languages, say they work with eye gaze, and easy to find on google or other search.

So far I've only been using the PCEyeGo integrated virtual keyboard which is as close to a perfect tool for producing text rapidly as I can imagine. The only problem is that there are only three rows and therefore constant need for shuffling whenever you want to type other characters than letters. The integration to eyegaze is unbelievably good in this integrated version, and I can type at around two to three characters per second (could probably even faster if I had a more efficient PC). It's just the limited layout that sucks.

I've used that built-in keyboard on the Pceye Go, so I know exactly what you are talking about. I second Diane's suggestion of checking out Click N Type. It works with the Pceye Go, is customizable, and resizable.

I wish I could use it but it doesn't work with my Dynavox Eyemax.

Thanks all. I'll check out click n type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back