Diagnosis
03/2012
Country
US
State
KY
City
Louisville
Our lift doesn't work any more. You press the button on the remote, and it clicks, but nothing happens. This would seem to indicate a problem with the relay, but the clicking is coming from the battery area. All of the connections are secure, and the battery appears to be charged. We have had it for about a year and a half, with infrequent use. My husband can lift me ; mom uses it. We had a guy come out to look at it. He had more experience with Invacare. He ran some tests, and is trying to sell us a new battery, but doesn't sound sure that is the problem. I thought someone here might have some experience or advice. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ashley

Always hard to find good service guys...It is so new? what is the warranty on it?

I have a company that does service--and I will tell you that sometimes it is hard to diagnose a real problem, so the tech starts with a common problem with an easy/inexpensive fix and tries that first. if the tech will take back the battery if that is not the problem then you could give it a try. I assume you called the manufacturer/reseller and talked with them? I know we can trouble shoot over the phone for a lot of things.

PS==my techs do not work on lifts LOLOLOL (or wheelchairs but I wish they did)

As a former industrial mechanic specializing in battery powered equipment, I can tell you that there are simple, inexpensive test equipment to test the battery. They are called battery load testers. There is no reason for the tech to quests about the battery. I've found that quite often these techs for handicap equipment don't even know how to do a simple test on fuses. Also, a battery can have a bad connection internally but if this is the case, the load tester will show it

I have had good luck with Batteries Plus testing batteries for free.

You have checked that the emergency stop button didn't get triggered by accident? That happened to us once. Sometimes you have to twist the button to reset it. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

We've had the emergency stop problem before. It's the first thing we checked. It's not obvious the first time. :)

I do remember overhearing something about a loss of three volts. Is that the test you were talking about, delvin? If so, shouldn't he be certain that is the problem?

If the batteries are fully charged and he's showing a lose of 3 volts my opinion is the batteries are bad. However he should also have checked to make sure the charger is actually charging. Obviously if the chargers not working then there will be problems with the batteries. This too is a simple test done with nothing more than a volt meter. He simply hooks the meter to the batteries, reads the volts then connects the charger and read the volts at the battery. It should have a reading higher and should continue to climb, if it doesn't that's where I'd start. P.s. I've got over 20 years experience work with industrial batteries. The process is the same regardless of industrial style or automotive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back