Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband is having the same problems. I keep telling him people are using pillows. he only uses one, a memory foam molded pillow. I bought it two years ago and he is just now using it. His legs still work so he hoists his hands up and uses them for supporting his head. however he constantly turns from one side to the other all night long. He is exhausted from little sleep.
I am searching for the best bed for us. Bed positioning in CALS forum was informative however I now feel lost with so many choices. Wanting to make the best choice to forsee changes in future. It is a pricey investment.

I was going to mention also that my husband uses a Roho pillow of the kind that you can add more air in back than in front. So that helps keep the head more stable, along w/ the "sandbag."

I wish there was a one size fits all solution. We have so many pillows! We cycle through their use - some stay favourites, some get used and loved for a while, then suddenly one is crap and we start using another size or shape, until it is crap. Day time he has 2 - 3 pillows when sitting in the recliner, and in bed 4 - 6, depending on his position.

I think we are getting to the point we need another assessment about keeping his head up and him straight when other chairs or pwc.

He definitely needs good neck support at night and this is partly achieved by the hospital bed being raised at the head and partly by pillows.

My husband's head has a tendency to fall to the right when he sleeps, and then he wakes up with a sore neck. I found this lumbar support pillow that is roughly shaped like a butterfly with the wings being highly stuffed, that actually works fairly well under his head, keeping his head upright. It was a bit wide so I stuffed a small pillow under the right side. Unfortunately it would fall out and his head rolls a bit again.
Well last night I reminded myself that I was and ER nurse and stabilized necks all the time, what did I do? Of course I wasn't going to tape his head down (yet), so I took a bath sheet, folded it in 3rds length wise. I then rolled both ends up equally leaving room for his head. I taped it so that it would unroll, and put it under his head tape side down. He only sleeps on his back, so it kept his head perfectly straight. It was free, and it can be washed. I told him if that didn't work I was going to tape his head, so maybe he actually stayed awake all night to keep his head up, but I don't think so.
Tillie, because we still have 2 weeks before his hospital bed comes I am using 10-12 king sized pillows, and 1 body pillow. Then I use one of those chair looking pillow (the ones that have chair back and arms, people use to sit up in bed with) under his knees with it on its back with the arms facing up to the ceiling. I works really well as a knee bolster and doesn't allow his legs to spread apart. I threw it in the washing machine this week under gentle and it washed up really well, I then hung it to dry.

I am looking forward to not having to do the pillow dance every night and morning, although I know I will still have to bolster his arms and head. Although Canadians really like their "duct tape", so I might resort to that, one never knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back