Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
These days I only manage broken hours of sleep due to neck pain and stiffness.
My neck has ached trying to hold it up for sometime now but since the summer sleeping has been hard.
I sleep with 4 pillows (once 5)and a triangle pillow as I can't breathe if I sleep flat.
Tried all kinds of things for my neck,different memory foam pillows.
Got a memory foam pillow at the moment,not a hard solid one but its made of bits of memory foam so more like a pillow but firmer........
....however it only relieves/supports my neck a tad better.

Any one else has issues sleeping due to weak/painful neck muscles?
Any suggestions?
I am a side sleeper,can't sleep on my back so don't think a brace would help.
I am going to see doctor next week but you all know these things better lol.

I have the same problem as my neck muscles have deteriorated & no longer support my head. I am also a side sleeper. I sleep on 3 pillows. My husband pulls the top & middle pillows under my neck & chin & it helps support the neck while laying on my side.
Hope this helps.

I do stack my pillows up,gradiating upwards. However I do tend to turn about during the night with the spasms so got to keep finding that comfy position for my neck.
The triangle shaped pillow is good for wrapping around the neck.

I have heard of neck braces for sleeping but would think they are uncomfortable if you sleep on your side.
Wondering if they do a soft foam type?

I'm not sure about the soft foam neck brace. Might do a goo gle search. I have to stay in one position all night since I'm not able to roll. It does take my poor husband a while to get the pillows just right.

Unfortunatly I don't have a husband.....well,not unfortunate,i choose not to marry.
You are very blessed to have such a loving husband to care for you.

Will look into some kind of foam neck piece ,ask my doctor.
I am sure they do them for neck injuries as such to keep the neck stable.

My neck and head seems to drop down/slouch forward on the propped up cushions causing pain and discomfort.
Having something comfortable but stabilizing the neck would do the trick.

Olly, I don't understand why raising the head of your adjustable bed wouldn't cut down the number of pillows - there must be a lot of pressure points and as you say it is not a stable foundation.
Even for side sleeping, you could try a sleep collar-- it has no foam in the back. It is black and available on Amazon. Admittedly it is more applicable to back sleeping.
Also, my husband uses a folded-in-half wheat-filled heating pad to stabilize his head at night (think of a small sandbag). It is heavy enough to do the job but you can position it so it just grazes the head/forehead.
Last thought for now: though you probably can't grasp it, could a body pillow help stabilize you from the front? Some are made so you could rest your head on the top part and wrap the remainder around you.

Igelb ,I don't have an adjustable bed...just a normal one with memory foam mattress as it eleviates some of the pain from stiffness and spasticity.
I have found you can get soft foam neck collars so will try one of these......only thing putting me off is I hate things round my neck,pollo jumpers,scarfs ect.
Will try one out but still see doctor.
I did get a heat wrap you can plug in and use for your neck if its aching,going to get a wheat one you can put in the microwave.

Thanks for the replies .

I have the same neck problems at night. I have a ton of pillows that I change trying to get comfortable . my hubby just ordered me a side sleeper pillow that looks like a horseshoe. heres hoping it works

how about a foam wedge to elevate you and then the pillows just to keep you all adjusted in a comfy way? I push a memory foam firm pillow up against my husband's back when he is on his side so he can lean against it and use it for support. it keeps him from rolling back and lets his muscles rest. I have also seen but do not have a pillow that is made for neck support--like a donut so the neck stays neutral.

sorry you are having pain at night. I am sure you have already tried pain relievers...

oh Mary pat that is what I am talking about! I saw one at Bed Bath and Beyond.

I have the same neck problems at night. I have a ton of pillows that I change trying to get comfortable . my hubby just ordered me a side sleeper pillow that looks like a horseshoe. heres hoping it works

Thanks MaryPat, I will do a search for this pillow. It may be just thing I need. Please let us know how yours works out for you.

Is this the pillow you where talking about mary,mines a bit flat now so need a new one.
4489-albums832-picture6511.jpg

Gone to mod but I did post a photo of my triangle pillow,think its what your talking about.
It was ok at first but mines gone flat now.
How do you use yours mary....horse shoe down wards or the curved bit to the back when sleeping on your side?...me downwards but you gave me the idea to try it the other way. Thankyou.

olly I don't have mine yet but thanks for reminding me to think "around the pillow"

I had trouble with my mouth dropping open at night and waking up so dry...used the soft foam collar and it's dual purpose...keeps my mouth closed, too, could sleep through. I got used to it in a few nights. got it from ALS clinic...has a washable cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back