Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
TX
City
Round Rock
The time has come. I m alooking at PERIMOBIL OR QUANTUM. Anyone that has first hand knowledge, feedback appreciated.

I had a quantum q6 without tilt and recline. Loved but as my neck got weaker, I looked into tilt and recline.
Tried the quantum q6000, lots of power but the thing was masive, sat too high and the turning was not as tight.
I went with the quantum q6 with tilt & recline for these reasons :
- still feels like a regular chair when pulled up to the dinner table or at a restauant.
- The turning radius is smaller.
- Tilt and recline is a must, and is more compact with the q6
Whatever your choice, don't compromise, pick what feels right for you.
Cheers,
Casey

I have a Permobil c300. Only had it for a few months but really like it. Tight turns! This is such a hard decision! I only chose the c300 because a pALS friend used one for several years and only had good things to say about it. Mine's kind of high to fit under a restaurant table but I'm going to check if it can be lowered or if it's just a higher chair.

I chose the Permobil M300 which I received 2 weeks ago. Turns on a dime on it's mid wheel and is a very compact chair. I opted for the elevate feature in addition to tilt & recline and it's proven to be very handy - especially in the kitchen. As Mich indicated, it does sit high, I think because the underseat houses the features I mentioned.

My choice was made after hours of research and three OT consultations. I am, so far, happy with it.

I have a Permobil C300 with all the bells and whistles :
tilt
recline
foot extension
rise (my ALS clinic wheelchair person got Permobil to donate this function, since it's not medically necessary, therefore insurance wouldn't pay)
I really like it . I got one before they knew what was wrong with me, but it only had rise and tilt, and no electronics in the back or the foot rest. I have since learned that tilt, recline, and foot extension are all essential to take the pressure off various parts of your body if you are sitting all day.
I tried another Permobil model, but settled on the C300 because it had a better turning radius, smaller footprint, and they told me it was better for rugged surfaces (my parents have a farm, so that was important to me ).
Get all the features you need now, because insurance /Medicare only pays for a new one every five years.

I used the Quantum Q6 for 5 months then got the option of recieving the Quantum or Permobil M300 (VA). After test driving both I picked the M300 felt more comforting. But I did use a ROHO air cushion on both, not the stock seat so each did have the same cushing. The M300 also seemed to be more responsive then the QUANTUM.

We used a permobile C300 and we loved it. I actually still have it and for sale if interested. It has elevator lift and roho seat, cover, etc. I posted it in the "Used ALS Equipment For Sale" Hope you find what your looking for.

Just found out today Permobil has issued a certificate for my elevate feature! This offer was not initially applicable to Canadians, but we raised a tiny e-mail campaign raucous. Now other PALS up here will also qualify in the future.

Swedish Permobil is leading!

Thank you to BrianD for having posted the PERMOBIL press release relating to the elevate. I would never have known about it. This is a perfect example of why this place is so great! :lol::lol:

If possible, test drive them both at your home to see which you prefer. I have a Permobil FWD which is super.
Hope this helps
Chris

My husband has a 21st Century wheelchair with the outdoor package, that he got through the VA. It is large, and it turns wide, but it is amazing outdoors. He is a large man, and it fits him so well. It rises 16", tilts head, feet and seat, and he uses a Roho seat and another one that is honey combed (forgot it at the VA at the OT department, so I can't tell you the name.)
we live in the mountains and love to go on hiking trails. We have a Toyota Sienna Van and he backs into it, and finagles it back and forth until it is in he right place. He has an older Quicky Rhythm lent to us by the ALS society, but he doesn't like it much at all.

I love my Permobile. It goes almost everywhere. Haven't tried mud yet but it has a lot of flexibility and I feel so much freer than the struggle of just getting by. I can zoom now. It has the tightest turning radius. and they are always working on adaptations. Watch the videos on Yu-Tube.

Permobil C400 here. This is similar to the C300 most people get, but has a better suspension for bumps outside. It's still (or used to be at least ) a Class 3 chair so was covered by insurance.

an option to the current tires you have, mine has solid tires that never go flat. the rubber is soft so its still a fairly smooth ride but i dont have to worry bout flats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back