Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
US
State
KY
City
Nicholasville
Mom's speech is basically gone now. She has no use of her arms or hands either. Need some ideas on simple gadgets, if there are any, that could help. She gets so very frustrated when she can't get us to understand what she is saying. Now it's mostly grunts.

Kim

look up speak book. it might work for her

Kim I am so sorry for your family as you all struggle with this awful disease.
We made a simple alphabet board. Set it up so that the vowels are down the left side

abcd
efgh
ijklmn
opqrst
uvwxyz

One blink for yes and two for no. It is slow but it does work.

We also found a picture board for common needs, helpful, saves lots of blinks, just point to the pictures and keeping pointing until you get a blink.

Pictures examples, a sweater to indicate too hot or cold, a bottle or glass to indicate a need for a drink etc.

For needs like repositioning, or adjusting bipap mask, things that we could not find pictures for we made a column down side of picture chart in LARGE letters so point and blink works again.

I second the speakbook d o t org. And you can use it with just pointing too, you don't have to follow their directions.

We have used different boards, and you can google some ideas on line. I just put in ALS communication board. We used a combination. I am currently working on sort of a flip chart of speech boards. 1 for entertainment, 1 for physical needs or common needs, and 1 general one. The talking and trying to be understood is so frustrating and hard for my PALS. When he uses the board, it is slow, but after getting use to it, can be used by all and allows for better interaction with the people around him.

It is not simple but Tobii is a computer with -a very effective eye gaze. Follows the pupils . it is covered by medicare/medicaid. but you need an order from your speech therapist and doctor. You have to learning how to use it takes some patients but it does not match the frustration of being out of communication al together.
There are also old fashion letter boards. For pointing at. and letter decks .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back