Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
Hello everyone. My mother is having problems coughing phlegm. She can clear her throat but is not able to spit it out. (Sorry for being vulgar) It is also hard to help blow her nose, as she cannot well blow very well. Is this where the suction machine comes in?

Angela,

I have the same issues! Makes ya feel like you're choking. Please contact the clinic! I read mucinex works great, but it's not available here. It's on my list to get next time I cross over to shop! I drank tea with lemon and honey. Helps to soothe it out! I tried benadryl to so/so results. Antacids help me - tums. Maybe she could try. I can't lie on my back unless it's raised! In fact, i am writing you from a hospital bed - i was admitted on sunday because the phlegm was too much to handle. So, don't be shy about calling her doctor - don't wait too long, cuz my suffocating episode was truly scary!

I hope you have a very quick recovery! I can't imagine being in a hospital bed. When mom stayed overnight for the feeding tube the bed made her feel soooo incredibly miserable and uncomfortable. I will call her neurologist tomorrow. Mucinex works great but she is unable to swallow pills. Again hang in there and thanks for the response!

+ what a terrible experience with choking. Sending love and prayers your way.

Does your mom have a feeding tube? When my mom sounds phlegmy I give her a syringe full of a generic (Walgreens) Adult Non-Drowsy chest congestion liquid called Wal-Tussin. It is an expectorant and it goes thru the tube. This seems to work pretty well at breaking up the phlegm. Good Luck, Trina

Any cough medicine containing gaufenesin (? spelling) will quickly loosen up phlegm and mucous. It is great for on the spot relief but you may find that Mucinex taken daily prevents the problem. Benedryl works by drying up secretions but that will make them thicker and even harder to cough out. Hydration is very important in keeping secretions thin and “coughable” so if swallowing is a problem a feeding tube is necessary but, of course, that decision is up to the patient.

My Neurologist suggested that I use Guaifenesin 600mg. That is the active ingredient name. I is available as an over the counter product. I have been using it for a couple of days and it seems to work pretty well.

The wal-tussin product contains 100 mg guaifenesin per 5 ml. I know the pharmacist said she could could take 600 mg. I just fill the syringe 60 ml (2 oz) - and it seems to help.

Thank you all. She does have a peg tube. I will probably end up getting the wal tussin.

We haven't found that the suction machine or tussins always help phlegm in the throat. We use herbal nasal inhalers and an aspirator to cut down on what gets into the throat from the nose. Also daily dissolve-in-the-mouth allergy meds. Hot tea, yes, OttawaGirl (hope you are discharged soon!), breathing steam, a humidifier nearby at all times ...

Yes, a suction machine would most likely be helpful to clear out what she can cough up. We have used one for my pals for 2 years now and it has really been helpful to get anything out of his mouth that he can't spit out. It also help to get the mucus out of his mouth before it gets to his throat. I suggest you ask the doctor or respiratory therapist, or both. He also takes medication to help dry his secretions. He now has a patch he wears behind his ear and we change it every other day. It is called Trans Scope. It is made for motion sickness but has the side effect of drying secretions. Hope this helps. Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back