Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started LTD, and my experience was like this: after I received the ALS diagnosis in July, I told HR and asked about short-term and long-term disability. I told him that I wanted work part time over the summer, as I thought coming in to work would be good for the mental health. During that period I was on short-term disability, so I was getting paid like I was working full-time. Short-term disability required forms to be filled out by me and by Sunnybrook (the ALS clinic coordinator filled these out on behalf of the neurologist; she also filled out the form for the income tax disability credit). I also received calls from a case manager asking me about my condition, how it was affecting my ability to work, could I work from home or could my work be modified, etc. After a number of weeks on STD, one is required to apply for LTD. LTD was covered by RBC Insurance, in my case. More forms were filled out, and RBC was given access to the forms from Sunnybrook sent for STD. Another call from a case representative, this time with RBC. After 30 days I finally received confirmation that my LTD was approved, and that I would be paid a percentage of my previous salary on a monthly basis. They have also just sent me forms to apply for CPP disability. Once I start receiving CPP disability, that amount will be deducted from what RBC pays me.

So, it’s a lot of forms to fill out and things to keep track of, but bear with it. In my case, my fingers are weak and I have difficulty writing with a pen, so I’ve had to get someone to help me fill out all the forms. Fortunately, my speech is fine so I’m able to handle phone conversations and the like.

With an ALS diagnosis there shouldn’t be any problem with your disability claim. It’s a well-known condition and insurance providers will know that it will permanently affect your ability to work.

Sorry, I cant help insurance issue in Canada, but my ALS started left hand, right foot. I am happy to compare notes although it progresses differently for all. Best wishes! In the US, the MAYO Clinic, Minnesota gave the definite diagnosis for me in March. My insurance was notified in March 2013. I have to miss 90 days work to start the disability benefit. I have been missing 2 days per week, but have a very understanding employer. I can't hold things in left hand, no grip strength. Right foot causes falling, catch my toes, and cant lift foot well. Work is almost over for me. I get to tired in 6 hours at a desk. I do environmental inspections and permitting for oil and gas wells. Cant put on steel tips and FRC clothing anymore.

SF58

Great west still requires updates from time to time to see if your condition has improved... I once told them.. If my condition improves you will be reading about it in the headlines... But alas.. I (my wife fills them out now) still have to fill out the forms once/twice a year.. (Also a set for my neurologist to fill out).. He never complains.. I guess he is used to it.. You would think "No cause/No cure/No treatment" would say it all..

Thanks everybody I really appreciate all the info. I guess BC has a "duty to accommodate" law so even if I can't do everything I normally do, they have to make a reasonable attempt to accommodate. Seeing as I'm their number one diagnostic technician I think they'll definitely want to keep me around for as long as they can. Honestly I'm going to be dropping a major bomb on them...

I am so sorry that you are going through this. I just pray that it is a slow progressing ALS, and that you can continue to work. My husband has had 5 definite diagnosis' of ALS, 3 American neurologists, and 2 Canadian neurologists, but has no bulbar issues at all. As a matter of fact they are hard pressed to find any upper motor disfunction, although he is a partial quad at this point, and pulmonary function is down to 37%. We found the ALS clinic at GF Strong, very helpful. Our situation is a bit complicated, as Tim is an American, in the process of immigrating when diagnosed, I am Canadian. We have been blessed with all that has been made available for us, and pray that all goes well with you as well.

I continued to work until I became a direct risk to myself and others on the job site.. Leaving that site and the support I got from my co-workers was one of the most emotional things I ever encountered.. Now a few years later.. Walking to the car is enough to wear me out.. But.. I'm still able to care for myself for the most part.. I just get frustrated because I have always been one to refuse help from anyone for things I can do myself.. the other issue is I forget I can't do the things I've done many times in the past and when I try it's complete failure. :-( As for LTD benefits? Without them I would likely be gone already.. The biggest downfall is that the rates are fixed.. Every-time the cost of living goes up I slip deeper into debt :-(..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back