Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Oklahoma
City
Tulsa
My father has ALS and is at home in a hospital bed. My mother is worried that if he needs her when she steps out of the room, he won't be able to get her attention. Recently, when he was in the hospital, he had an "easy call pad" that he just bumped with his had and it called the nurse. Is anyone aware if these are available for in the home? I've called some home health stores with no luck. I greatly appreciate any help!

Can he still use his fingers or hands. I have some jingle bells (my husband was a professional Santa) that are light weight. He can manage this.

I use the magnetic pulltab personal alarm. I've added a small piece of cardboard between the magnetic pieces to make it respond to a simple finger movement. $20 at Amazon

I mounted a bicycle horn to the railing of the wife's hospital bed.

It worked for many months until complete paralyses took over.

Websites sell a variety of easy to press buttons. These buttons, called switches, have to be attached to some noise making device to create a call button. That can be as simple as wiring it to a an inexpensive doorbell, or a paging system to give a much broader area where the beeper will work.

We had, but didn't use, a touch call button, courtesy of our ALS society. Sounded like a door bell. Didn't require much strength it dexterity. Yasmin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back