Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
VT
City
NO where
Hi y'all. So my friend that has ALS, he doesnt have a real support system and therefore isnt getting any real good nutrition. I wanted to start making some meals for him and was looking for suggestions.

He has difficulty swallowing sometimes and has to eat very slow so as to not choke. He's been eating only carbs like mashed potatoes and corn! Anyone have any tips or menu suggestions for soft yet yummy and nutritious meals I can make him?

Hi Erikita
I've been told soups are a winner:)

Cauliflower can be made into a mashed potato like dish. VERY yummy.

Cook as normal, put in a blender with butter, a dash or two of nutmeg,, salt to taste

Hi, how wonderful that you are there for your friend. In "Off Topic" section of these forums, there is a thread for food and recipes which might be helpful.
God bless you.
Linda

The most important thing is always: ask him! Well meaning help can turn very awkward when it isn't that helpful after all but you don't want to make a loved one feel bad. Ask him what he'd really like to eat and logistically what it would take for him to eat it, then work on that. Also look into how he is going to reheat this food and how much help he has getting at it, that might change how you want to package it. The more input you get from your friend, the more helpful your help will be.

First off, I would ask if he is considering a feeding peg to have in place before his choking and swallowing get worse.

Foods my wife liked while she was still eating a percentage of needs and using feeding peg...........

Tuna......mashed and mixed with miracle whip to the point of being "whippy "
French toast made rather wet , plenty syrup added and mashed with fork

miniature ravioli.......mahed with a fork before feeding

Luckily for me, she never got tired of those 3 right up until last November when she had to give up eating completely and depend on peg 100%

OK, first rule of thumb... everything you've ever learned about nutrition gets thrown out the window. Gravy, butter, fat... they're your friend because it's important to keep his weight up. Bless you for helping.

Cut things small, serve them "wet"... soups, stews, chowders

Depending on his level of swallowing difficulty, the blender can be your best friend. Glen's favorite was pot pie.. I'd throw the whole thing in the blender, crust, gravy, veggies, etc.... As we went along I found I could puree just about anything, even pizza!

The decision on whether or not to peg is a very personal one. If your friend decides not to, you'll just have to be creative, and brave!

thank you everyone for your replies. I guess although blended pizza sounds entirely disgusting to me it might not be to someone who really is craving it. I like the idea of the cauliflower and for sure I can add in butters, fats and gravies. Heck, my grandma was from Arkansas and she taught me to cook so I am on board!

Glad the blender worked for you folks.

Although my wife struggled to eat orally, she refused anything that was mashed up by a machine ( pureed )

I don't know what difference mashing with my fork or with a blender made, but she would not eat it if it didn't resemble the food that it started out as.

Strange !

Does your friend ever drink Boost of Ensure? It might help also with them getting their nutrients or vitamins.

Believe me... pureed pizza was NEVER on my menu! I never even tasted it.. but he liked it so what the heck.

Boost or Ensure is not only a good idea, it again makes a good puree liquid... a nice milkshake with a nutrition boost!

Another forum member mentioned lobster bisque once... Has left me with a craving ever since i read that post.

OK, first rule of thumb... everything you've ever learned about nutrition gets thrown out the window. Gravy, butter, fat... they're your friend because it's important to keep his weight up. Bless you for helping.

Cut things small, serve them "wet"... soups, stews, chowders

Depending on his level of swallowing difficulty, the blender can be your best friend. Glen's favorite was pot pie.. I'd throw the whole thing in the blender, crust, gravy, veggies, etc.... As we went along I found I could puree just about anything, even pizza!

The decision on whether or not to peg is a very personal one. If your friend decides not to, you'll just have to be creative, and brave!

Yes, a feeding peg is a " very personal" matter.

However, until the moderator kicks me off I will continue to post the positives of a feeding peg to people posting that there is a problem with choking or swallowing.

I will also warn that saying one wants a peg but not yet may result in the option not being there in the future to do deteriorating lungs.

It seems some posters APPEAR to get upset when I mention a feeding peg as a viable solution.

Frankly, I couldn't care less if they get upset !

Bowser, I think you misinterpreted Kaie's post about folks getting a PEG. I think she is the last person to "judge" that decision. I don't think she was upset at all... just stating an option.

My husband is one who is dragging his feet on getting the PEG - plans to, but since he can still eat, is sort of denying his respiratory decline. I'll remind him by referring to your warning. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back