Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
VT
City
NO where
Hi all. I just joined this forum because someone I care about has ALS, is one year into his diagnosis and pretty much doesnt have any support system around him. He is only 36.

My quick question and if this isnt the right thread to post this please let me know.

He has shoulder atrophy and is having problems with his grip.

~~ Anyone recommend a grip strengthener or any type of exercises he can do to try and maintain what grip he has or build it back up?~~

I am very sorry about your friend.
If his hand muscles are affected by ALS that means the motor neurons that make the muscles work are dead or dying. Exercise can not revive those motor neurons so he can't build muscle there. The thought is attempting to do so might harm him by adding to the stress on those motor neurons. Appropriate stretching exercises would be a better idea. He and his caregiver(s) should be taught how to do this by a physical therapist who understands ALS. His clinic can set that up
Thank you for caring about your friend

Sounds like your friend has a good support team and that is YOU. Someone who has a heart and cares.

exercise the hand but not force the hand. a device he can easily squeeze to maximum. forcing may tear down muscle that may not rebuild. consider investigating creatine, a supplement tested at least 3 times in drug trials, but not quite good enough to pass FDA standards build new muscles, no but remaining muscles may thank you for it

thank you for the info. He actually does NOT have a caregiver. And as far as a clinic....its 4 hours away and I think the last and only time he was there was when he was diagnosed a year ago.

I will read up on the creatine part. His hands are so so cold all the time. and his feet.

As other people have told you once the neuron is dead, and the muscle has wasted. There's no improving it. Be very careful about supplements as they are not regulated by the federal government for purity and content. Any supplement that has USP on the label has subject themselves to a purity standard. Without that label, it could be nothing but milk powder or worse. There've been instances of protein supplements imported from overseas that contained huge amounts of lead.

You are being a good friend. We all need those. It prescription for physical therapy should be able to be obtained from the clinic and use locally without the big drive.

Good luck, and we're here to help you if we can. I understand what your friend is up against as I am dictating this to a software program since my hands are too weak.
Hollister

I use a hand gripper...get the lightest lb available.

It helps, I think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back