Diagnosis
02/2013
Country
US
State
WI
City
Eau Claire
Last month my Doctor started having me wean off amitriptyline. One reason being she doesn't like some of it's side effects. Another is because she put me on Nuedexta and there are some slight interactions.

Anyway, I went from 50 mg to 25 mg and am now off of it. I am not sleeping nearly as well as before, I'm not sure it's a related issue but surly seems like it.
Trouble falling asleep is only part of the issue. I wake up several times and sometimes take an hour or more to doze back off.

I have tried 5 mg of Melatonin with varied results. At first it seemed to help but now it doesn't help at all.

I have been thinking of trying L-Tryptophan. Has anyone had any luck with this supplement.

My biggest problem right now is lack of good sleep...we PALs know how much we need our sleep!

Any ideas will be appreciated...I just hate asking my Dr for a prescription sleep aid. But in the end if that's what I need then I'll get one.

Joel

The nights are the hardest for me. Pain levels increase significantly. I wake up often which in turn rouses my husband. He works all day, so interrupted sleep is bad for both of us.

I use Benadryl - works well, but I still wake up for bathroom call. ( we then need to put the AFO on so I can get to the bathroom - this is most irritating).

Last week I tried 0.05mg of Ativan. Works like a charm 90% of the time. Sleep right through and wake up refreshed.

I use Benadryl. It works good, I wake up during the night but usually fall right back to sleep. I am afraid of the scripted ones, too many side effects. On really tough days I like a cup of sleepy time tea and then the Benadryl.

As you know,
This cannot be ignored....you must get your sleep. Impress on your doc how critical this is.

I have to fit in 9-10 hours or my entire next day is ruined and it can become a cycle. If you are sleeping all day, everyone else is not.

Good luck

I take 8 mg of tizanidine, Xanax, and Lunesta. I wake up at about 2 and take another 4 mg of tizanidine and another Xanax. I find I have very little anxiety or panic when I'm awake, but boy once that conscious mind goes to sleep... Wow!

I'm not crazy about taking all this stuff but I need my sleep. If I'm in pain I will take some tramadol and that seems to help a great deal. Good luck!
Hollister

Re: Sleep aids: L-Tryptophan?

Upon reading the ideas here I bought ZzzQUIL liquid which has the same ingredient as benadryl. Diphenhydramine. I used it last night right at bed time and did sleep much better. However it still took a while to fall asleep. so tonight I'm going to take it an hour or so before bedtime.

I have read that our bodies build up a tolerance to Diphenhydramine fairly quickly (Tolerance against the sedating effect of diphenhydramine builds very quickly; after three days of use at the common dosage, it is no more effective than a placebo).

Do any of you taking Benadryl notice it's not as effective after a few days, Or do you only take it on occasion.

Bad Balance...I do know the importance of sleep. I know what you mean about it becoming a cycle! If after using the zzzquil I find I am still not getting enough sleep, I will consult my Doctor for her advice/recommendation.

I would still like to hear from anyone who takes, or has taken, L-Tryptophan to help them sleep.

I use the benedryl and it works fine every night. I take it about an hour to hour and a half before I go to bed.

my husband used Benadryl too, and I was worried he would build a tolerance to it --but he didn't appear to. we switched to Tylenol PM last month--it seems to work also.

he takes two, about half hour before bed

5mg ambien, no side effects I've noticed...

Tylenol PM is acetaminophen and Diphenhydramine (benadryl). So what you have done is just add tylenol or acetaminophen to what he was taking before.

LOL! Well, it is still working !

been doing one or the other for about 3 months

Okay...here are my latest sleep remedies.

I have been taking 950 mg of L-Tryptophan about 2 hrs before bedtime, and then 50 mg of Diphenhydramine about an hour and a half before bedtime.
Once I fall asleep, I stay asleep, except for bathroom wake-ups. I've been averaging about 8 hrs of sleep each night since being on them.

I still have issues falling asleep, but that is mainly due to restless leg syndrome. It has been really bad the past few months!

Sleep is the one thing I do well; however, occasionally my brain and my muscle cramping start working overtime. On those rare nights I take Klonopin and sleep like a baby! Tried ambien but didn't notice much impact, but the Klonopin works every time.

I wonder why your Doctor doesn't like the amytriptyline. It helps dry themouth, is a mild pain reliever, mild sleep aid, and mild antidepressant. It is supposedly one of the safest out there. It also helps with emotional lability. I think it is perfect for PALS.

sadiemae I agree with you 100%. When I was on amytriptyline I seemed to have very little problems falling and staying asleep.

I have an ALS clinic this Tuesday...I am going to as this very question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back