Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
alabama
City
tuscaloosa
My mother was diagnosed about two years ago .My dad ,younger brother and myself are the ones that take care of her . I have an older brother that makes up excuses why he doesnt come around and he lives two min down the driveway from her .I will never know what my mom goes through I just know that she hurts all the time.On Tuesdays,thursdays and saterdays im with my mom 12 hours .the other days im with her 3 to 4 hours and i have an eight month old and a two year old that are with me until their dad gets home. Sometimes i think im going to have a nervous break down . i get to see my husband maybe an hour out of the day but i wouldnt change it for anything in the world cause i know she needs me

Mary Nikole,

No regrets! That is exactly the way you have to look at this disease. You are doing the right thing, I know you are so very very tired and have completely put your life on hold to help with your family but believe me, you will never regret it. I do so much for my parents, my dad was diagnosed in February this year and no matter how tired I am or what I have at home that needs to get done, I don't want to ever EVER look back and "wish I had done...."

Your in my prayers and please PM me anytime you would like to chat...

Welcome to the forum...
Michelle

Hi Mary Nikole, I agree with Michelle. Your brother will have to make his own peace with his choices, but you at least know in your heart that you are doing all you can. We have the same situation in my family and I can honestly say that it took me awhile to realize that, even though she cannot communicate and is totally dependant, my Mom teaches me something every day. I don't see how anyone could pass up this opportunity but each choses his or her own path. Just remember to take care of yourself once and awhile! Hugs, Cindy

I think that a lot of us can relate to your situation. I am in the same boat, with having a large family and most making up excuses for why they can't help out. Some feel helpless, others have admitted that it hurts them too much to see our dad this way. Regardless the reason, they will have regrets for not being around more and I know that I will not. I've made a ton of sacrifices for my father over the past 3-4 years and when I think I can no longer take it, I remind myself that I know I am doing the best I can and that I will have the priveledge of no regrets when he is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back