Diagnosis
10/2004
Country
US
State
California
City
Carlsbad
Hello. I am new here, but have been dealing with this disease for 3 years now (although my diagnosed is still not final, its a long story and not necessary for this question). I am in a wheelchair and am now losing the strength needed to transfer so I need a lift. I have found a device made by Prime Engineering called the "lift transfer device." It looks like a dolly and seems to be much easier to operate than a sling lift. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Thanks for your help.

John

Hi John,

I am not sure if the lift you are talking about is like the one I have experience with.
If you'd like to look back at the old posts you can search for "lift pictures" and see the one I used with my friend.

If you are in my area (Orange County, CA) or anywhere near, there is a pretty good possibility that you could have my friend's lift if it would work in your home. Last time I talked with her husband he had just dismantled it and had it in the garage. Let me know asap so that I can make sure it's still in the garage. I think he was talking about donating it to the ALSA.

Jeanne

Hello John- welcome to the fourm. I am glad you found us but sorry for the reason you have to be here. Let us know how the lift situation works out. Cindy

Hi John,

I am not sure if the lift you are talking about is like the one I have experience with.
If you'd like to look back at the old posts you can search for "lift pictures" and see the one I used with my friend.

If you are in my area (Orange County, CA) or anywhere near, there is a pretty good possibility that you could have my friend's lift if it would work in your home. Last time I talked with her husband he had just dismantled it and had it in the garage. Let me know asap so that I can make sure it's still in the garage. I think he was talking about donating it to the ALSA.

Jeanne

hello Jeanne, Nice to hear from some one who is in orangeco.Calif Do you go to UCI Clinic? We just purchased a lift a DIANa it is a sling type but it pivots. & is suitable for our small bathrooms' EM

Jeanne,

I found the pictures of the lift you used with your friend. It's a great lift and you are very kind to offer it. I am close (N. San Diego County) but that particular type of lift will not work in my home. I am currently using a stair lift with a chair, but will need to soon give up my second floor living and stay downstairs - if I could use a lift like yours, I could continue to use both floors. Thanks again for your thoughtfulness.

The lift I am considering is a patient lift alternative to a classic Hoyer sling lift for transfers. I actually saw it today, and I'm not sure it is the best option for someone with this degenerative disease. But I still welcome input from anyone who has used it.

John

Edna Mae - Yes I did go to UCI with Linda once every three months. Dr. Mosafar (I think that is the correct spelling) was her doctor. Who do you see? Do you go to the support group meetings put on by the Orange County chapter of ALSA?

Would you be able to use the lift I talked about for John? How are you doing? Do you have family around? If there is something I can do to help you please ask. Are you still able to speak? If you'd like to exchange phone numbers let me know.
Take care - Jeanne

John - Sorry the lift won't work for you. It was so great having it for Linda the last 18 months of her life. Linda's husband, along with a friend who was very mechanical put their heads together and 'invented' and constructed the lift shown in the pictures.

We tried the sling type of lift for getting Linda in and out of bed but found it didn't support her back or neck enough. Thankfully she was 100 pounds or less most of the three years that she needed to be transferred and picked up.

I wish you the best. - Jeanne

John,

You are not too far from where I live and I actually have a sister living in Vista. If there is something I can do to help you please let me know.

Have you heard of the program "helping hands for ALS"? I remember reading about the program being offered in the San Diego area sometime last year.

Jeanne

I believe you mean "extra Hands for ALS" http://www.extrahands.org/

They provide volunteers for PALS to do work around the house and other things. We have two pairs that provide run off energy of my 5 & 3 year old boys and one high school student who mows my lawn. They have been very helpful.

Jim

Thank you Jim for the correction. We looked into "Extra Hands For ALS" last Spring for Linda and found that they were most often high school or college aged students willing to help out a few hours each week doing chores around the house or yard. I've heard that in some areas there are people who volunteer to do some personal caregiving duties also. Perhaps since Spring there are more services available.

Thanks again - Jeanne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back