Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I am interested in buying a commercial van and equipping it with a folding ramp. The idea is to avoid the costly complication of van conversion. There are 3 suitable compact vans available that have car like driving compartments, suitable dimensions weight carrying capacity and good gas milage. One retails new for approximately $20k. We like the look of the Honda Element, but it is too small and hasn't enough weight carrying capacity.

Anyone point me in the direction of a folding ramp vendor? Need 400lb capacity and either spring or pneumatic assist. Want to bolt it to the van floor without cutting into the bumper assembly; we will enter at the back....wife cannot handle an eighty pound ramp....nor can I.

Thanks for any advice.

Jerry

if you are going to be using it with a power chair you need to look at doorway clearance as well. we looked at several that had clearance inside but not in the doorway. in the end we purchased an older used chevy with a manual foldout ramp and a lowered floor. everyone can drive it and it is easy for me to get in and out of

Thank you;
Yes, we are aware of dimensions and are test driving.

what I am asking is advice on ramps.....

Well;
I have found that my premis is true....for about $24k you can end up with a new van that does not have to be converted. This includes the cost of a ramp. If you are thinking about duration of use, you have a simple un modified vehicle for re-sale.

PM me for further info if interested.

Why not just put your details in this thread then everybody can see it over time?

There are lots of good used vans for sale--we got one with a kneeling system and electric side ramp with low miles for about $24k

Proprietary products make this work....
That is why I refrained from posting full descriptions.

The advantage with this approach is that when the family no longer needs a converted van, they can keep it for other use, or sell a 2nd hand, rather than a 3rd or 4th hand van. They also have the opportunity to sell outside the conversion van market.

- Jerry

Well; we have our van and the wheelchair fits perfectly in the back. It is a Ford transit connect. We were able to find one with glass all round.

If we can get a ramp that attaches to the van, Ford offers a $1000 rebate, so we are considering our options on this. I have a borrowed ramp I am using for a few days and have immediately confirmed that 30" is too narrow as a permanent purchase. We are looking for an eight foot ramp.

Ordered the "Roll-A-Ramp" earlier this week. It arrives on Monday !
Excited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back