Diagnosis
11/2012
Country
US
State
N.Y.
City
new windsor
What are the rules for getting SSD? Can I be working part time from home (cannot get into an office anymore) and still qualify? Photogjackiie

Sent to moderation.
I googled your question. A comprehensive 16 page PDF booklet issued by the US government popped up.
Sent you link - but forum administration may or may not let it show up. You can search Internet and easily locate the information.

What are the rules for getting SSD? Can I be working part time from home (cannot get into an office anymore) and still qualify? Photogjackiie

If I'm not mistaken, you've got to have worked 40 "quarters of coverage" during your life (equivalent to approx. 10 years of work) to be fully insured in the event of you becoming fully disabled before reaching the normal retirement age of 62.

Certain terminal diseases such as ALS would immediately qualify you for getting SSDI if you've met the criteria explained in the above paragraph.

There is a waiting period of approx. 5 months before the SSDI checks kick in as well as Medicare.

There is a TOLL FREE NUMBER to call the Social Security Administration to inquire if you qualify for disability benefits, it is: 1-800-772-1213 or you can do it online as well at their web-site.

Hope this helps.

NH

Hi not sure about the original question but wanted to add a point to NH's comment in addition 20 quarters must be within the last ten years. This has been an issue for a couple of members as well as my sister. If someone has been a stay at home mom and out of the work force no matter how many historical work quarters no SSDI AND no Medicare until age 62

There is certain amount you can earn,a month, and collect disablility. I believe it is less than $1000 a month. In SSDI terms, this is called”SGA” income. It is income you actually do work for, not ”earned” money, such as unemployment or a pension.

Thanks all for your help. Since I collect social security I guess Im not eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back