Diagnosis
06/2012
Country
US
State
NY
City
Rochester
As trivial as it may sound, I'm upset because it seems like nothing tastes right, or good and this has gone on for about a week. Do other people experience this? I stumble and fall a lot, am sleepy all the time, but I have always enjoyed meals and chocolate. Is this just another lost quality of life I have to get used to?:-(

a lot of food i used to like no longer tastes good to me. before als i was a four c person; cookies, candy, cake and coke. now none of this tastes good. lots of food good for me i have to force myself to eat. never had that problem before diagnosed

It looks like lack of appetite is fairly common for...some PALS (not all of them, though).

In my particular case, having my first ALS symptoms started Bulbar, I had to undergo several changes with the way I eat food. For example, the food texture had to be changed by my CALS for me to eat safely without chocking and coughing, which meant no more hard solid food for me to swallow but purre food which makes the "taste" of the food in the mouth somewhat different. Mostly of the food has to be purred food (blended so I can swallow it), etc.

Furthermore, as I also have Limb onset running alongside with the Bulbar problems, this has forced me to live a somewhat sedentary lifestyle which slows the digestion of the food down and also have occasional constipation, to make matters worse.

Eating when I was still healthy was fun, now, with Bulbar ALS is a challenge and a chore.

NH

Thanks for the replies! I suspected this was probably connected, but I really hoped I was just coming down with a cold, or something else temporary that had messed up my ability to taste.

'Glad this site is here to get answers, 'Hope I can be helpful to someone someday!

shmutz many pals have taste issues,. I can no longer tastes sweets, mostly they taste like salt. fruit taste terrible and sometimes causes sores in my mouth. that's y I enjoy the virtual sweets at the tea table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back