Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
North Dakota
City
Fargo
Since Christmas I have been having the strangest symptoms which have me believing that I'm going to be diagnosed with ALS. My left arm and leg have a very strange feeling that I can't really describe other than saying that they feel weak. I have no problems lifting or doing daily tasks which leads me to believe that it's just perceived....however, can't ALS start with weakness rather than actual loss of function? I have noticed that the feeling will come & go but I'll have it for a week or 2 & then it will go away for a few days (or maybe I start focusing on other symptoms & forget that arm/leg?) My other issue is more of a bulbar ALS question. I honestly feel like I'm stumbling over my words or slurring letters together. My husband says that he hasn't noticed anything but it's driving me crazy. I've also noticed that my lips start to twitch if I've been talking or smiling more than normal & I've also had a few issues with swallowing food. Once in awhile it feels like dry foods will get stuck after I swallow. Almost like the muscle isn't strong enough to push it all the way down. Do these things sound like ALS? I have pretty serious health anxiety & I'm having trouble functioning or thinking of anything other than these symptoms that have me terrified. :(

Have you gone to the doctor?

I have seen my family doctor but he basically did some reflex tests & I also had an MRI. All was normal. I'm supposed to see Neuro in 2 weeks but was hoping that others have had experiences like mine that turned out to be nothing. :(

Yes there have been many but let the doctor tell you that there is nothing wrong but anxiety. Alot of them will not believe the dr and eventually they come to realize that it was anxiety. Some don't. I am sending prayers that you are fine and get to move on with your life.
I wish you peace.

Once the weakness comes, it doesn't go, it progresses. Every patient is different, but there is no sensory involvement in this disease. My has been slow and relentless. It started with weakness in my dominant hand and is now taking my other hand. All of this has taken about 4 years. See the neurologist, and treat anxiety. It just doesn't sound like ALS. But I am not a doctor. Take a deep breath and remember that anxiety produces very strong chemicals

Speech issues in ALS are usually noticed by friends and family members first. Some may think that you've been drinking.

Thin liquids are usually the first things to cause problems in ALS , not dry foods.

Many of us with limb onset had no prior "feeling" of weakness. We had actual clinical weakness. We could no longer do something that we previously could do.

Hope. This helps you let go of some of your anxiety.

Wow our symptoms are strikingly similar...and I too am on the fence, worried I have this terrible illness.

My swallowing has recently become an issue. I can get food to the back of my mouth, but it takes a few times to initiate a gulp. It's like there's a hesitation to swallow. Once the food starts to go down, it feels like it gets stuck and doesn't go down all the way. I have also noticed I've been stuttering more and it's harder to formulate sentences.

I am worried of course, but if I had to guess, I would say that we are both negative for the disease. Please let me know how you're doing. I am seeing a neurologist tomorrow. You can pm me

Thanks for responding escollege08. I'm not sure how to private message! You have a neuro tomorrow? My appt. isn't until the 4th of March & it feels like an eternity away. I'm having an endoscopy tomorrow morning to possibly determine the cause of my swallowing issue. Still absolutely terrified of ALS. I can't believe how consuming the thought of it can be. Praying that your neuro appt. goes well. Keep me posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back