PALS
Country
uni
State
unknown
City
unknown
Does ALS cause back pain?

My father did have back pain related to ALS. The muscles in his back and neck were the first to become weak and atrophied. This put stress on all the joints between the vertebrae and on the nerves going out from the spinal chord because of his abnormal posture. The ligaments in his back and neck were strained as well. He could not hold his head up.

Most people have back problems .So I guess people with ALS can have non related back pain. As I said before Just because we have als doesnt mean we cant have artiritis cancer strokes heart disease ackes pain need eye glasses Get my drift! People on this forum think that every thing they feel is ALS related. If I get nausea and vomiting would it be a symptom of ALS NO its a virus If I get a earache is it ALS probably not I think the ones here that have ALS have the same symptoms are mainly Atropy weakness fatigue twitching fascis falling dropping thinks breathing problems swallowing eating chewing problems and maybe a few more . I find my symtoms arevery similar to the others here with ALS So not all things we feel at one time or another is ALS related Pat

Back ache

patricia1 said:
Most people have back problems .So I guess people with ALS can have non related back pain. As I said before Just because we have als doesnt mean we cant have artiritis cancer strokes heart disease ackes pain need eye glasses Get my drift! People on this forum think that every thing they feel is ALS related. If I get nausea and vomiting would it be a symptom of ALS NO its a virus If I get a earache is it ALS probably not I think the ones here that have ALS have the same symptoms are mainly Atropy weakness fatigue twitching fascis falling dropping thinks breathing problems swallowing eating chewing problems and maybe a few more . I find my symtoms arevery similar to the others here with ALS So not all things we feel at one time or another is ALS related Pat

Strange you should ask. I am planning to ask the same question at my next clinic visit which is coming up in a week or two. & thanks hboytian for your in put. I have had the neck problem for many months & now the back pains . I would guess that it is related, it stand to reason if you are losing the muscles that gave you support its bound to cause discomfort. How ever mine is more than discomfort. I will let you know what the clinic says. EM

I get back pain depending who is driving the wheelchair van I ride in. Some are smooth but some are jerky and I feel it for days. Is it caused by ALS? it sure is, because of ALS, I'm riding in the rear of a van getting jerked around.
AL.

You are too much Al.:) You know what I wanted to ask you Every time I go to my ALS clinic they ask me to try IVIG Have you been asked or any one else on the forum Thanks Pat

Yes Pat I did try it. It is one of the first things they try for multi focal motor neuropathy and some of the other auto immune disorders. Some regimens are different but mine started with 2 days of 8 hour per day IV drip at the hospital. I got such a bad skin rash/reaction that they said no more of that for me. Now they did say that they had never seen such a reaction from anybody before like that. Guess I'm just special. There have been others on the forum that have tried it but I don't remember any great cures. When I did it I figured it was better than doing nothing. Shouldn't kill you but the itching did make me want to die LOL but I don't recall anybody else saying anything about rashes etc.
AL.

Why wouldn't you try anything they ask and more?

And pldo, it would make sense for some to have back pain because there are so many muscles in the back that would be affected. Many pals do complain of pain. I hope you are not having back pain, I know how excruciating that is.

The reason I didnt try it was when I asked my neuro if she thought I had MFMD she said no and I asked her if she saw any real results and she said no And she also said it could kill me from a reaction So I didnt do it. But if anyhone has had experience with thisI would like to know Thanks Pat

I am having horrible back pain, and it is not going away! I do not have a diagnosed- and again the stress thing comes up when I tell people. But would stress make it so that you can not sleep the pain is so bad?

Hi Pldo- I totally sympathize. The thing about back pain is it can come form a number of things but regardless of wether it is muscle strain from overuse or athrohy or, in my case, arthritis, the treatment is always the same; try a variety of things until something works. If heat or cold compresses and otc pain meds don't do the trick I'd go to my GP. Too bad this is a long weekend. I hope you don't have to wait until Tuesday for relief! Cindy

pldo - when my illness first hit I all of a sudden got unbelievable back pain where I could not stand up straight. None of the docs ever figured it out and I took everything from ibuprofen to vicoden! One day it was just gone. Strangest thing. I have always had fear of that coming back! All you can do is try the usual stuff, moist heat, heating pad and anti-inflammatories....then the knock you out pills!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back