Diagnosis
01/2012
Country
IL
State
Israel
City
Jerusalem
My husband has now all but lost function in both hands. Before this disease hit he was a voracious reader, but he hasn't touched a book in months and spends much of the time in front of the TV. I think it would be great for him to get back to his books, but he says it is too frustrating for him as he can't turn the pages by himself. Any suggestions? Are there any devices out there that we could use to turn pages? He has an IPAD, and I have even downloaded a couple of books I thought he'd like, but he hasn't taken to it. Besides, there's that stack of half-finished books lying in our bedroom...

A Kindle and a head stylus works for some. I've downloaded Kindle to my iPad and use a fat stylus I awkwardly hold in my hand. All you do is touch the right or left of the page to turn.

Try tying a stick [chop stick?] to palm or back of hand or inserted in wrist support, and cover the tip with rubber thimble or Blue Tack. Only minimal shoulder moevement will the be needed.

You could also stick a pencil with an eraser backwards in a universal cuff, if he has any wrist ability. As things go, though, eventually he'll have to put up with ebooks. I read them on a full size monitor, I wouldn't find reading them off a tablet comfortable.

when i'm tired but want to read i turn my kindle to text to speech and turn the volume off. it turns the pages for me. i had to play with the speed some to find the right reading pace but it works well

my son put a kindle on my c n i lovve it.

Mary Pat, that was what I was trying to remember... You can borrow books from your library too.

SueG's husband attached a styllus to a baseball hat.

you can borrow from the library but they seem to be out so often but there is so many free ebooks that i rarely pay for one. new authors and authors with a new book out often have a free period.

My husband installed the kindle app on his computer and uses it to read e books. The full size monitor makes it a lot easier. If using a regular mouse is an issue, you should consider a foot pedal mouse.

Full size monitor reading will be helpful for him. And what about just listening the stories without reading them..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back