Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Durham
I don't want to be annoying, especially to people dealing with this diagnosis, but I have a strange plethora of symptoms. I hope it isn't ALS. About 18 months ago I noticed a tremor in my hands and neck. I was taking some nursing classes and it definitely got worse with stress and coffee. I learned about ALS In a lecture and ever since I have been very sensitive to weakness in my arms, legs and bulbar areas. The fear of ALS really got to me and I ended up taking some time off of school due to stress and anxiety. Relieving myself of school related stress really helped with the anxiety. But here is what I am experiencing to date: feels like I'm slurring my words, especially s's, and speaking slower. "tripping" over my words. My left leg, the heel hangs lower than the right, but I drive a lot so I assume that my right leg would be more toned. Also, a buzzing sensation in my left calf, leg falling asleep often, and pain/discomfort around my left knee and leg. My left knee also frequently has a sensation of buckling, but I've always been able to correct it. My left foot feels floppy, but I can walk on toes and heels fine. No falls. It seems it takes a lot for me to walk long distances across campus, but I've also gained a lot of weight so I feel out of shape. My hands feel clumsy, I drop things often, doctor has suggested carpal tunnel after an exam. I wake up and both arms will be dead weight, like I can't even lift them but it subsides after a few minutes. My arms fall asleep easy and get painful electric shock feelings. I'm 28 years old male, and have dealt with this ALS anxiety for over a year. I saw my GP and she seemed annoyed I was presenting all of these symptoms to her and quickly dismissed me. I spoke to a neurologist and he laughed at me and said my problems were "psychological.". I spoke to another doctor and she did some quick tests and told me to "ignore it.". I'm a nursing assistant, so I lift heavy patients all day long. My symptoms feel very real, especially the feelings of weakness and sensitivity in my left leg, the clumsiness, and the slurred slow speech. I did have a lot of fasiculations at first but they mostly went away. I want to seek out a good neuro and have an emg done, but it seems not necessary and a waste of money at the moment. Did anyone else start like this?

I agree with your doctors. Your symptoms are nothing like ALS so forget about that. Hope you get it sorted out!

Thanks ms pie for taking the time to read this! Wishing you the best:)

Thanks for sharing your symptoms. :)

Look very seriously into Lyme Disease.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back